Please Please Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My computer died a few days ago. It was on XP I bought a new one but it came with windows 8.1 It is the horriblest **** operating system i have EVER seen It is OBSESSED with trying to make you have a microsoft account whatever that is. How do i get rid of this **** and get something sensible as far away from this **** as i can possibly get. I just want to smash the shitty thing to bits and go and buy something else. Horrible is not the word for it. It is like trying to use one of them crappy "telephone" things.. If i wanted a **** operating system like that i would have bought a big so called "phone"/kiddies toy" How can i get rid of this ****...

john..

No, not touch screen, who the **** would want a touch screen computer.... Apart from the obvious do you want to move a finger half an inch on a mouse or your whole arm, what you supposed to do with all the resultant finger marks on the screen. I hate the thing with a vengeance. I hope they are open in the morning i will take it straight back. I hate the thing and just want my xp back. £420 down the drain....

john..

erm......

wipe and reformat the drive and load another operating system on it????

It has been many many years since the days when PC's used to come "empty" and you had to sit there actually loading on your operating system first..

They then gradually phased out even supplying back-up installation disks....

As they all come pre installed with something or other nowerdays...

May even only have hard drive and USB ports on some PC's...

So you don't even have have an internal drive to put installation disks into!!!

BUT...

The fundamental Hardware / Operating System / User programs concept is still there..

So if you really want to it is still possibly to go backward and wipe the whole darn lot and start again from scratch....

As long as you have an operating system that is suitable to your needs and applications?

The first question has to be is the hardware the right spec that you wanted or not?

AFAIK this microsoft account stuff is because Win 8 is all gearing toward cloud storage

with the account as the means of accessing all of your data that microsoft are looking after in the big ethernet filing cabinets ....

so you can back up and access you data anywhere..  So microsoft can pry into your personal preferences and daily work patterns even more!!!! 

:popcorn

P.S.

They like to call every things "Apps" as thats 'trendy' with the kids I think...

On the Win8 8 "Apps" page the "App" called Desktop comes back to what I consider to be a bog standard windows screen!!!

I have windows 8, yes I dont like the tiles option either, but there is an inbuilt feature (its on a tile) called "desktop" click on that and away you go.

You can also download a "shell" that brings back the start menu options, but once you have gone to using it in desktop mode, you won't use the shell option.

Oh you can also delete / alter  the tiles if you want to. Right click and up come some options.

You can't easily format the hard drive as its partitioned and you would need to put it in another pc un partition it then format it. But you could always do that with your existing pc.

We bought a new laptop for our eldest who needs it for school/college & even the youngsters hate that tile format.

Apparently it was designed with touch screens in mind, the sales guy also said the office package will soon be a rental based user agreement the way MS are going.

We bought a new laptop for our eldest who needs it for school/college & even the youngsters hate that tile format.

Apparently it was designed with touch screens in mind, the sales guy also said the office package will soon be a rental based user agreement the way MS are going.
It was. I have seen it working, friend has one, its just as bad on a phone as it is on a pc.

Why has nobody suggested a new motherboard and repair the old PC?
As you probably know it may the the HD that has / is problematic, also it may be the OP does not know how to do that? I say this because if the OP knows how to change a MOBO then would he have not done it?

Another thing to mention, is cost, i have (over the years) built several PC's but now, no more as its easily possible to buy a new pc with operating system cheaper than it is to make one.

As you probably know it may the the HD that has / is problematic, also it may be the OP does not know how to do that? I say this because if the OP knows how to change a MOBO then would he have not done it?

Another thing to mention, is cost, i have (over the years) built several PC's but now, no more as its easily possible to buy a new pc with operating system cheaper than it is to make one.
New HDD and re install XP then?

When the HDD died on Mrs PD's Lappy, I fitted a new HDD and installed  ubuntu on it. Took a little help from this forum to get some things to work but it now does all we want.

Latest posts