Cable Required To Suit My Needs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
At the moment there is one coax cable from a tv point in the living room up to the aerial on the roof and thats it.I am an electrician not a tv man i am wanting to put three more points. In upstairs. One in each bedroom i have heard of a 4 way distribution amplifier .How do you wire these ?is it just my 4 co axs. From living room and 3bedrooms into the distribution amplifier and another out of the amplifier to the aerial on the roof?

These tv points will be chased in just wondering about running 2 co axs down to each tv point just incase at a later date i decided to get sky thats all.My question is wnat cable do people use. Im looking in the screwfix book now wont that pf 100 sattellite coaxial cable do both jobs supply tv and also supply sky just i dont like stuff being trunked thats all i know that shotgun cable is also used for sky?

If you are thinking of Sky, then run 3 cables (one for normal tv, TWO for sky) and use at least RG6 or CT100.

Fit a phone line and network cable as well for full sky functionality.

Make sure you buy an amplifier non contact splitter, and one with multiple inputs too so you could have dtv in one room and fm radio in another or even satellite if you add a dish at a later date.

Edit and yes run coax at the sample time, put in 35 or 44 mm back boxes and use grudges plates too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as far as the sky then i know the obvious way. Of getting the sky wired. 2 sattellite coaxs from each room point back to the dish in my case 8 ends coming back to the dish. Can i put. Something like a 16 way distribution amplifier in the loft instead you know 8 ends going in the dist amplifier and then is it two sattelite coaxs out to the dish?i am not sure about sky?

So as far as the sky then i know the obvious way. Of getting the sky wired. 2 sattellite coaxs from each room point back to the dish in my case 8 ends coming back to the dish. Can i put. Something like a 16 way distribution amplifier in the loft instead you know 8 ends going in the dist amplifier and then is it two sattelite coaxs out to the dish?i am not sure about sky?
What you are describing is a multiswitch and a quatro lnb.  (NOT a quad lnb, different thing)

that has 4 cables from the multiswirch to the dish, and you can get multiswitches with 16 or more outputs.

Forget about the sky im making it harder than what it is just going to run 4 points 8 ends back to the dish.right these disribution amplifiers for my tv points im looking at. One in a screwfix mag its 2 in4 out i think i get the 4 out part 4 coaxs to my 4 tv points. Its just the 2 in part of the amplifier i dont get my aerial to the distribution amp i have one coax but there is 2 in connections do i just use one of the in connections and have a spare connection and will it still work like that?

Ok in to uhf port and out to coax points in rooms.So what is the benefit of a fm radio point?i mean a radio has an aerial with it is it just for better reception i cant remember if radios have aerial connections in the back of them?i mean its not essential is it you can always listen to the radio on tele or just plug a radio in?

The only way that you can split a Satellite feed is by using a quatro lnb and multi switch,,, it won't work using a regular distribution amp.

If you are happy with watching the same sky on all TVs then take an rf out from the sky box up to a dist amp and then a single coax to each other TV and a magic eye to change channels

Everybody forget about sky i know now to just take everything to the dish.im just concentrating on uhf with the tv points , but my other question is why do people fit vhf to fm radio points is it just for people that have poor radio signal. Is it just for radios basically i dont honestly think i need to fit vhf just for playing a radio what else can vhf be used for?

Everybody forget about sky i know now to just take everything to the dish.im just concentrating on uhf with the tv points , but my other question is why do people fit vhf to fm radio points is it just for people that have poor radio signal. Is it just for radios basically i dont honestly think i need to fit vhf just for playing a radio what else can vhf be used for?
You can get an octo LNB (8 outputs) for a sky dish so that is what you will need if running 8 coaxes to the dish.

Most portable radios have built in aerials, but a decent hi fi tuner will have a socket for an external aerial so  you can get a decent signal and listen to your music without an annoying hiss in the background.

If you are doing that and feeding the distribution amp with a tv aerial and a radio aerial, then you will need a diplexer outlet plate in each room to split them.

FFS it's not rocket science r.b just search the kit & read the instructions if you don't know mate

sky tv.pdf

what else can vhf be used for
For anything that TX/RX between 30MHz & 300MHz   

FM radio

2 way LMRS (old emergency services radio & the like)

Marine comms

And of course CQ CQ CQ users

In short loads of stuff, but maybe not in the average home setting except the Ham & FM radio

Attachments

• sky tv.pdf
    438.6 KB · Views: 8
"For anything that TX/RX between 30MHz & 300MHz "

I wouldn't transmit through the distribution amp personally ....

So with a uhf amplifier. With tv points and 4 teles will this allow all 4 teles to have different channel. On not sky i am on about freeview