DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

John Nash - A Beautiful Mind

sprocketflup

Sad to learn that Professor John Nash and his wife were killed in a car crash in New Jersey the other day.

For those not familiar, John Nash was a nobel Prize winning mathematician, who as well as having a mind sharp enough to be at the forefront of emerging and traditional areas of Mathematics, also suffered from schizophrenia.

A film was made chronicling his fight with his own mind, 'A Beautiful Mind' starring Russell Crowe as Nash, and is a good watch if you don't have time to read the book of the same name, a somewhat weighty tome.

Both articles offer a fascinating insight into just how delicate our psyches can be, and how illnesses such as Schizophrenia can be dealt with, and lives lived in its shadow. Prof Nash was still in residence at Princetown University and still offering breakthroughs in modern mathematics well into his dotage.

Rip John and Alicia Nash

Only watched that film a couple of weeks ago,,, what an amazing brain... RIP

Yes sad to hear both man & wife were killed .   I never heard of him to be honest , I noted on the radio that he was not very well off in his later years .

I would purposely not watch a film with that particular actor in it TBH. 

Not seen the film...but i will be looking for it now

Believe it or not, If i had attained the A levels that everyone predicted i would get then there were 3 options open to me

Pathology

Mathematics

Pharmacology

......I Leave the reader to work out how well I did in my results

Better than you thought then ;)

Better than you thought then ;)

Yep!

2years on an ONC

3 years at Uni

STILL a fecking Spark!

I am doing the 41YW course at present, just finished the 40YW one last year

I know the feeling.... I probably did 5 years at college after leaving school....

and then I started an OU degree but jacked it in when I went SE....

I couldn't do SE, OU and a 5 year old...

Archived