Some Of These Old Boards Leave Much To Be Desired ......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
........took the cover off this one this morning to reconnect a shower for the bathroom fitter 

.Image009.jpg

( my mate made it safe & promptly went on hols last week ...with the usual ..Oh could you just finish this one for me , its only a downlight.......well two actually  & thats it ........Oh & just refit 3 other lights , thats all .....I think......   erm   Oh yes  wire to a Saniflo , fit an RCD ...thats all  ....Oh and a  lighty up mirror in the big bathhroom . ) :(     Did I say change all the pull switches ?   :eek:

What could possibly go wrong with that?  It's obviously fed by a bit of t&e so there WILL be an isolator / fuse at it's source won't there, so what's the problem?

Ever thought of suggesting a CU upgrade might be a good idea?

I'll bet you will find some of those old MK 13A sockets, you know the ones held on with 4 screws, 2 top and 2 bottom, with terminal screw heads that sit proud of the plastic moulding.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with that?

Won't need an RCD as the bathroom fitter is doing it and he's not an electrician therefore it's outside his remit. (Seen plumbers do this a lot with 3036 boards). :(

Just needs some blue and brown dragged kicking and screaming through it and it will be perfect. ;)

Is it a woodie craptree?

Well its my mate's problem ,  I don't think they want to shell out for boards ...just two new bathrooms  ( Oh and a Bentley on the drive )

My mate said he spoke to them & they deafed him out , only spoke to the bathroom fitter , so they won't get much change out of my mate when he's back ...probably charge them double .

What's wrong with that?

Won't need an RCD as the bathroom fitter is doing it and he's not an electrician therefore it's outside his remit. (Seen plumbers do this a lot with 3036 boards). :(

Just needs some blue and brown dragged kicking and screaming through it and it will be perfect. ;)

Is it a woodie craptree?
Yes its a Craptree  C50 board     looped off a wooden Wylex   ( There is an RCD on the shower feed by the way )  

ProDave   No confusion as there isn't any at all .

I take your point there Binky but they were probably made to higher standards than the Chinese stuff that melts these days & creates recalls .

Old fashioned Made in England  Crabtree .   I remember when an apprentii  , firm I was with used to fit a lighting board near the doors of industrial units and used them instead of fitting  light switches .  

I had read they were so well made that they were used as switch gear. :)

I still find them in social housing along with GE, dorman smith,and federal electric of the same generation. I can only assume they still work? at the very least they've not caught fire yet!!! :lol:

I had read they were so well made that they were used as switch gear. :)

I still find them in social housing along with GE, dorman smith,and federal electric of the same generation. I can only assume they still work? at the very least they've not caught fire yet!!! :lol:
the wood is probably harder to ignite than the plastic most are made of now.