Faster Booting On Ubuntu / Zorin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning,

My good mate has an HP Pavilion dv5-1000ea laptop. Bought from John Lewis it came originally with Vista and tbh has been nothing but trouble since they got it. It's more them than the equipment though. Him and his missus are proper Luddites (well he is a chippy  :lol: ), his missus is worse. So trusting that if a window pops up offering to "speed up your pc / double your investment / so and so needs to update your credit card details" then she'll click it. She's gotten better but.......

Anyway, I got the call that it had once again died and they were looking to buy a new one. This was shortly after her grandson had had a crack at curing it with the "backup discs". I gently explained there comes a time with Windoze when it really needs wiping and starting again.

A Live USB confirmed that hardware wise all was well and I convinced him that it really was time to try Linux.

I've now put Zorin OS 9.1 64-bit on it which is based on Ubuntu 14.04. (As an aside, I personally think that in making the Ubuntu base look like Windows the Zorin OS loses "something". All my Zorin installs are more buggy than any of the pure Ubuntu ones). It's actually so like Windows 7 / XP that when I go back to Ubuntu I have to reorientate myself a bit.

Is there anything can be done, short of an SSD, to speed up the boot time? The "Z", Zorin logo seems to hang there for ages before it gets to the desktop.

Sure I've read somewhere you can bypass this?

Cheers

Well we put ubuntu 14 on Mrs PD's lappy a couple of years ago after it's HDD had died, so new HD and clean install of ubuntu.  The only thing we had a bit of trouble getting working was the wifi adaptor in the lappy but the good people on this fourm helped solve that one and get it working.

It does all we want of it, word processing, web browsing, email, photo stuff etc.

As to boot speed. Why shut it down?  Ours usually only ever gets put so standby and turns on quick from than when needed.  But in any case a cold boot of ubuntu is WAY quicker than chat carp Vista used to be.

Well we put ubuntu 14 on Mrs PD's lappy a couple of years ago after it's HDD had died, so new HD and clean install of ubuntu.  The only thing we had a bit of trouble getting working was the wifi adaptor in the lappy but the good people on this fourm helped solve that one and get it working.

It does all we want of it, word processing, web browsing, email, photo stuff etc.

As to boot speed. Why shut it down?  Ours usually only ever gets put so standby and turns on quick from than when needed.  But in any case a cold boot of ubuntu is WAY quicker than chat carp Vista used to be.
I remember that thread Dave. I only really went the Zorin route "cos it looks like Windoze" for the wife who couldn't get on with straight Ubuntu. Saying that she's now moaning about Zorin too as it won't run some of her +15 year old software. (Have tried all the PoL, VB, WINE etc). Apparently she's going to "treat herself to Windows".

Zorin though I'd say is about as buggy as than my old XP Pro install but less than Win 7 which I've always found pretty good tbh. Some people though just can't make the jump to Ubuntu. Quite like the Mint Linux distros too.