Old Breaker Could Be The Culprit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal Roberts

Reaction score
Ring main tested everything all sound circuitry , mcb Wylex NB30 , 30a type 2 , suddenly trips say after 4 days, 2 days random etc , then doesn't reset , then resets again a day later , i think it could be the bi metallic strip on its way out or the solenoid , any pointers would be useful or if anyone has had similar experiences would be grateful  

+1

Test circuit properly and that includes I/R

Swap MCB to eliminate that.

I've had s similar problem when it trips at "random" whenever someone stood on a particular floor board upstairs.

Appliances, accessories?
Omitted everything including FCU connections to boiler etc , I'm going to swap 30mcb down (problematic) with upstairs 30 no problems and see if that works , in the meantime ill order a secondhand NB30 on ebay

+1

Test circuit properly and that includes I/R

Swap MCB to eliminate that.

I've had s similar problem when it trips at "random" whenever someone stood on a particular floor board upstairs.
Hi dave yes IRd L/N N/E L/E , R1 R2 ring cross connect all the same readings , visual inspect at each socket all good connections , so it really only leaves the MCB, has to be that , can go for 4 days etc until mcb trips and no reset , got to be bi metallic strip heating over a period of time and faulty , I'm going to swap downstairs ring (problem ) with upstairs (no problem) and eliminate the MCB 

Been round the clients , guess what MCB stays on no trip , have now swapped up and down ring main breakers, if it goes again on upstairs ring (was originally on downstairs) then i know for sure its the breaker itself. its got to be a duration and temperature factor thats upsetting the MCB and causing the phantom trip 4 or 5 days after I've been