40A Supply In Garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamal6008

Reaction score
Hi

I have an existing socket in garage but I presume that these are normally rated at 13A? Also the wiring mostly likely won't be able to handle 40A? What is the easiest/cheapest way to get a 40A socket in garage?

I can think of a few ways of re-writing the whole thing but that will be a long job and will cost a bit. Any suggstions are welcome.

Thanks for the help.

There is no such thine as a 40A socket in current use.

Going from the 3 pin 13A, the next size is 32A, then 63A.

So, if you do need a 40A supply and it has to be a socket then you could fit a 40A supply to a 63A socket, noting however, that you cannot get 63A out of it.

Hard wire the 40A device?

If you only have a 13A supply cable, then you will have to upgrade.

I am planning on using a compressor which states that need to have minimum of 40A.

Right so the option I have been thinking about it is below:

I have meter under the stairs. The cable goes from the meter to the house switchboard so I can connect another cable to the same terminal in switchboard and take it to a 40A circuit breaker. From the circuit breaker it goes to the new socket that is 63A rated. How does that sound? I have no idea where I would find parts for this though. I can install all of this in the same area and then find some sort of extension reel that I will run to garage when I need to use the compressor which will be occasionally.

I am planning on using a compressor which states that need to have minimum of 40A.

Right so the option I have been thinking about it is below:

I have meter under the stairs. The cable goes from the meter to the house switchboard so I can connect another cable to the same terminal in switchboard and take it to a 40A circuit breaker. From the circuit breaker it goes to the new socket that is 63A rated. How does that sound? I have no idea where I would find parts for this though. I can install all of this in the same area and then find some sort of extension reel that I will run to garage when I need to use the compressor which will be occasionally.
How does that sound - to be honest, a bit scareyPost your location and see if anyone on here can help. The regs are not there to amuse us, they are there to provide safe installations for home owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does that sound - to be honest, a bit scarey

Post your location and see if anyone on here can help. The regs are not there to amuse us, they are there to provide safe installations for home owners.
Scary how?

i am not an electrician so please let me know if it is possible to find a splitter which will seperate the cable coming out of meter into two seperate cables. This way I can keep this new circuit seperate from the existing house wiring. I can use an isolator after the meter but I am not sure if you have two cables coming out of it.

Jamal you said it, you are not sure so please seek the advice of a local spark who can see what you have what you need and what can be done. We will always be cautious to advise on something that we can't see. That is not to say we couldn't but as you do not have too much knowledge our knowledge shared could make for a dangerous situation.

Scary how?

i am not an electrician so please let me know if it is possible to find a splitter which will seperate the cable coming out of meter into two seperate cables. This way I can keep this new circuit seperate from the existing house wiring. I can use an isolator after the meter but I am not sure if you have two cables coming out of it.
Rules, regs, compliance to part p, competence, understanding....

Need I go on?

jamal,

I am sorry to say, that whilst what you describe would be possible for a competent person, I think you are a little out of your depth.

Please find someone local to you to help.

A 40A load @ 230V is a lot of energy, and if it goes wrong, you could have a lot of problems.

Thanks for all your concerns everyone. I am going to keep researching this. I understand the hazards and risks. Instead of saying no you can't do it I would much rather prefer guidance that will help me do it safely and meet all the regs.

I am not an electrician by any means but I am an electrical engineer and I work live on much higher voltages and currents that are normally found in a house. I believe the things listed below is what I need to research either myself or by speaking to a qualified electrician.

1.) Isolate the incoming supply to the house via meter or via the cut-out fuse.

2.) Install a new isolator that provides two outgoing cables (one cable will be existing cable to the house and second cable will be a brand new connection).

3.) Find rated cables that can handle 40A continous current.

4.) Find 40A rate circuit breaker to isolate the circuit in an event of a fault.

5.) Find appropiate 63A socket.

6.) Follow the safe practices of connecting neutral and earth appropiately.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks

first of all, its illegal to use the DNO fuse to isolate the supply, since that would be tampering with their equipment

you are way out of your depth with this and you do not know enough to do the job safely. the fact you work on higher voltages is irrelevant. its a bit like me asking you how to wire a 33kV supply. i dont have a clue and will probably kill someone (hopefully not myself!) but its OK for me to do because its only electricity and i know a bit about it so what could possibly go wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
jamal,

There is much more to this than the things you list.

Also to isolate via the DNO fuse is strictly illegal unless you have the permission of the DNO.

If you are an Electrical Engineer, then I am seriously surprised at your lack of knowledge of such things.

I would have expected the basics of circuit design and circuit protection to have been covered on your Electrical Engineering Degree course at University, even a heavy current course should have covered circuit design.

How will you verify ADS & undertake the testing required, surely that should have been covered also?

jamal,

There is much more to this than the things you list.

Also to isolate via the DNO fuse is strictly illegal unless you have the permission of the DNO.

If you are an Electrical Engineer, then I am seriously surprised at your lack of knowledge of such things.

I would have expected the basics of circuit design and circuit protection to have been covered on your Electrical Engineering Degree course at University, even a heavy current course should have covered circuit design.

How will you verify ADS & undertake the testing required, surely that should have been covered also?
Thanks for your concerns once again. I work for the DNO and I am authorised to install an isolator. Please enlighten me of what I have said wrong in the things that I listed with regards to basic circuit design and protection? I have the tools to carry out the testing.

first of all, its illegal to use the DNO fuse to isolate the supply, since that would be tampering with their equipment

you are way out of your depth with this and you do not know enough to do the job safely. the fact you work on higher voltages is irrelevant. its a bit like me asking you how to wire a 33kV supply. i dont have a clue and will probably kill someone (hopefully not myself!) but its OK for me to do because its only electricity and i know a bit about it so what could possibly go wrong

Okay guys I am very much happy to stop right here right now but you need to give me a reason. I am not here to argue or to prove anything else I am just here to find a solution to a problem. If my solution is wrong which it might very well be then please tell me what's wrong with it so I don't even think about doing it!

jamal,

Maybe its the terminology you use then that concerns me.

It is worrying that you are an Electrical Engineer, who works for the DNO, you have the tools to test the work that you are proposing, yet, you have to come here to ask for advice?

Surely this sort of stuff was covered in your degree course?

You are looking for a cable to carry 40A continuously, great, how will you install that cable.

What other considerations are there on the cable and its installation?

I'm not going to tell you what to do/what is wrong, that is not my way.

I will guide you if you will listen.

I am seriously concerned however, that you have passed a degree in electrical engineering yet, what you have written on here gives me concerns about gaps in your knowledge that should not be there.

Where did you do your degree and in what subject?

jamal,

Maybe its the terminology you use then that concerns me.

It is worrying that you are an Electrical Engineer, who works for the DNO, you have the tools to test the work that you are proposing, yet, you have to come here to ask for advice?

Surely this sort of stuff was covered in your degree course?

You are looking for a cable to carry 40A continuously, great, how will you install that cable.

What other considerations are there on the cable and its installation?

I'm not going to tell you what to do/what is wrong, that is not my way.

I will guide you if you will listen.

I am seriously concerned however, that you have passed a degree in electrical engineering yet, what you have written on here gives me concerns about gaps in your knowledge that should not be there.

Where did you do your degree and in what subject?

It could possibly be terminology difference between us. The reason I am here is because I know there are experts who are electricians and I wanted them to check what I am proposing is safe and right thing to do before I go and do it. I certainly did not come here to get mocked!

I am doing all of this installation on the same wall where the meter and all the other equipment is. The socket is also going to be on the same wall. The length of cable that I will need will be very minimum (can avoid loses). How will I install the cable? Is that supposed to be a tricky question? All the cables will be on the wall and not inside the wall.

jamal,

Nothing I have written is to mock you, if you want to be mocked that can be arranged, but that is not why the forum is here.

I am asking questions upon which to base my guidance.

You are basically intending then to put a socket in your house next to the incoming supply and run an extension lead for the compressor?

jamal,

Nothing I have written is to mock you, if you want to be mocked that can be arranged, but that is not why the forum is here.

I am asking questions upon which to base my guidance.

You are basically intending then to put a socket in your house next to the incoming supply and run an extension lead for the compressor?

Yes, pretty much. Compressor is not something that I would be using everyday. It is more like something that will be used 10-20 times a year. I can run the extension lead safety to the garage because again the distance is minimum and it will only be for a very short period of time.