Extension Lead For Dishwasher

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsample

Reaction score
Our kitchen has (since we got the house) always had a space for a dishwasher under the worktop next to the sink, but there's no mains power socket nearby, so we were using a 13A extension lead. We recently had a scare of it overheating and [luckily] tripping the circuit breaker, which led us to reading up about warnings of using extension leads for these appliances.

I'm interested in getting a socket installed, but I'm curious what the difference is between an extension lead and a mains socket. Is it the solid vs stranded core of the cable, or some other cheap production qualities of a typical extension lead?

Could I, in theory, make my own extension lead using a plastic wall mounting box & faceplate, some solid core mains cable and fit a plug on the end (I'm presuming screwing down would be a problem with solid core) and it be a safe extension lead to use for a dishwasher, or is there another issue?

you cannot fit a solid core T&E into a plug. this would probably be worse than what you currently have.

what part overheated? did you leave it coiled up and ignore the warning melting all the cable, a 5a 'light duty' extension with a 13a fuse and melting the cable, or a dodgy plug / contact burning out at either end?

Please tell me it's not a wind up extension lead you are using?  I met someone running a washing machine and a tumble dryer together from a wind up extension lead and wondered why they only lasted a few weeks before melting (most of the cable was still wound onto the drum)

You need a proper socket installing under the worktop, ideally with an isolating switch for it above the worktop. How difficult that is depends on what the walls are made of and whether you mind your decor being messed up and are prepared to make good afterwords.

If you really have to make an extension least use 2.5mm 3 core flex, just long enough to reach comfortably, and fit a good quality 13A plug and socket.  the problem with most cheap extension leads is poor quality fittings and grossly under sized cable.

You could even use 1.5mm 3core flex, short distance, and it's related for about 16amps, a lot easier to fit into a normal plug too,

Most extensions leads are made with the smallest flex the manu thinks they can get away with,

Please tell me it's not a wind up extension lead you are using?
what part overheated?
It wasn't a wind up extension lead. The extension lead only had the dishwasher plugged into it, and it was rated for 13A.

The dishwasher's moulded plug melted and fused itself to the socket of the extension lead.

On a side-note, my cub/scouts group were doing a fundraiser when I was a kid and they plugged several kettles into a single, coiled, huge extension lead which ran into one of the shops. They melted most of the coiled cable and nearly set the thing on fire... That's stuck with me enough to always check the rating of extension leads and never use one coiled up.

You need a proper socket installing under the worktop, ideally with an isolating switch for it above the worktop. How difficult that is depends on what the walls are made of and whether you mind your decor being messed up and are prepared to make good afterwords.
The part which made me avoid it so far was the tiling that would be needed afterwards, and not knowing where channels would need to be cut to get the job done, but we'll definitely be getting it done soon.

If you really have to make an extension least use 2.5mm 3 core flex, just long enough to reach comfortably, and fit a good quality 13A plug and socket.  the problem with most cheap extension leads is poor quality fittings and grossly under sized cable.
you cannot fit a solid core T&E into a plug. this would probably be worse than what you currently have.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I was completely guessing at the solid core comment, I was just trying to understand what was different that makes a wall socket safer. I presumed it was build quality, especially after seeing the insides of the extension lead we'd used.

I may make my own temporarily while we decide on a local electrician to trust.