Dropbox On Zorin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short,,,, I've just had to re-install Zorin on my laptop and I'm now having problems getting dropbox working....

(I put W7 on my laptop and it was so slow,,,, now it's nice and fast but not working as I'd wish)

I can get it installed, but I can't get the app to load up..

Does anyone else have this problem or do you know of a distro that dropbox works on,,,,, unfortunately for me it was working before the re-install

It's also a PITA to get the Broadcom wireless adaptor to work,,, but I can manage that ;)

Yep,

It works on all my Ubuntu machines, running lots of different variants/dates and synchs with my tablet, phone etc as well as my mum's,  and others pcs running Windoze of various flavours. 

Well, it might be worth DLing it again, nothing to lose really, is there 

Have you tried from the download centre? Or cia terminal,? Sometimes I've found DLs from the websites can be.buggy. 

I have similar issues with Zorin 64-bit. Found Dropbox wouldn't install / work from the Software Centre. Had to download direct from the Dropbox site:

https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx

Tbh it's still not right, I can work on the Win 7 machine and save to Dropbox. That saved file WON'T show up on the two Zorin machines.

If I tried another distro I'd probably look at Linux Mint - looks really clean and crisp and gets good write ups. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,,,, I'm now on the other side (Unbuntu) and I've got my wireless card working......

However I've not yet got Dropbox working.... I have it installed, it just won't open!

i've not yet tried the OnOff's link

I'm getting nowhere with this.....

in terminal if I enter "sudo apt-get update" I get errors,,,, I guess that this is just updating Unbuntu??

So if I'm right then there may be certain bits in the OS that Dropbox uses that are missing or corrupt??

Just a thought

Screenshot from 2015-05-31 14:16:37.png

Probably not much help but...........

Running Zorin 8:

- In the Home folder there is a Dropbox folder but it's not up to date when compared to the Win 7 pc.

- Going Zorin Menu, Internet - there's no Dropbox there

Going Software Centre and typing Dropbox it suggests it's not installed. Clicking to install it comes up with this:

Selection_183.jpg

I'm now running Unbuntu 14.04 LTS

Dropbox shows in the software centre as being installed, It's also visible in the launcher bar and shows in my applications if I search for it..

however if I click on it all I get is an authenticate popup after about 15-20 seconds and then nothing (after entering my password)

Copy is not as good as Dropbox though, I did try it.

I've dumped copy, only use dropbox for sharing outside the company, and for file transfers, same as iCloud, & OneDrive are used for.

All the data I need to share between family, and company data is now on our Synology cloud here shared via Synology apps.

Thats a great resource,,,, thanks

although I've done all the dropbox bits....... I now have "copy" and "google drive" so I don't care too much about dropbox anymore
I'm just please to have Dropbox working properly on the Zorin machines! I should be thanking you as it was this thread that prompted me to have another root around to find the solution.

Couldn't get on with Google Drive myself although I liked the password option which Dropbox lacks.