Unusual Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Strange problem at home , internet went off at 3.30 on friday. I checked phone worked and all the normal things so at 8 i got round to calling talktalk who said i did not have a talktalk account. I phoned my mobile from the landline and i have a different number. Dialled 1707 (or whatever the bt test no is) and it told me the same. Over the weekend we have had numerous calls for Barry and judy though. When i dial my number it just rings out. Talktalks indian call centre have logged the fault with openreach who have to 'respond' in 72 hours

Bt's indian call centre wont talk to me as i dont have the security. Meanwhile no internet

Yup, what i thought.

We're slaughtering the line calling mobiles etc plus the hour and a half to talktalk services at premium rate , all of this is included on our tarrif.
Put it this way,,,,, I was in our favourite wholesalers :innocent the other day and one of the ex staff was there,,,, he now works for Openreach redoing terminations in cabinets and at the exchanges :facepalm: ....... we haven't got a chance

We had this when we moved down the road a couple of years back. Got the number moved to new house. Then 2 days later got a call for the new owner of our old house. Got on to BT. Explained I was self employed and needed or number re connected urgently - 7.30 am next Monday man appears and within 30 mins it was fixed. The joys!

Hats off to Openreach, 7.52 this morning an engineer called who was in the exchange  & he wanted to confirm what the numbers were & what they should be. He phoned back at 8.02 to say its all fixed, hardware fault where various pairs mixed at the exchange.

Trouble is, someone else is slaughtering YOUR line as well.

if its normally included in his tarriff, then he isnt doing anything wrong. and if someone else does run up his bill, then the phone company can sort it because it wasnt his calls..
Thats correct, we were not doing anything outside our plan, i also said our number rang out with no answer, it was  not connected to Barry & Judys line.

A mate of mine told me a few years ago when he left BT, it was common with a few guys to jump a faulty pair onto a good line so they could get down the pub on a Friday. It was then down to someone else to fix the 'new' fault next day.