Compressor Requires 16Amp Plug

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laup

Reaction score
Hi, I have moved to a bigger workshop and I will be buying bigger equipment. The compressor I am looking at either can run 400v or 230v.

With the 230v it will require a 16amp plug. Question: Will I have to hard wire a 16amp coupler into fuse box or can I simply purchase a 16amp coupler and plug into mains?

Cheers

No you can't use an adaptor, as that would put the 16A load through a 13A plug.

So what you need is a 16A socket properly wired in by an electrician, which usually means it being fed on it's own circuit from a 16A MCB.

Even then you might find the start up current might trip a normal type B mcb, so it might need a type C or even D, so the electrician will have to take that into account when designing the circuit.

you say the compressor can either be used on 400V or 230V.  I don't think so. What you probably mean is you can order it with a 3 phase 400V motor, or with a single phase 230V motor, but I am pretty sure that's a choice you will have to make when you order it.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha that's the one. It's either or.

The workshop has 3 phase installed. The doors operate on 3 phase and there are x4 'normal' sockets dotted about. I have no Idea what is the best thing to do.

Three phase motors are MUCH better and more reliable than single phase ones, and have other important advantages too, so if you have three phase, then get the three phase one.

On the other hand, to sell as a secondhand one if you get fed up with it, the single phase one would be easier to sell...

Me?? I would have the three phase one...

john..

It won't be much different .  I think your compressor may be cheaper @ 3ph  than 1ph  though . 

You need the details for your compresssor before you run a supply to it ....   I'm guessing the sam as the 240v    ...run a 16A  TPN supply  , make sure theres a type C breaker in the board for it too . 

Or as said , leave it for you sparky to sort.

ok thanks for input all. It's cleared 1 thing up. I will need a pro to plug it in regardless so I will just buy what suits my needs and get someone in. Support your local trades and all that :)

3ph tends to be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and more reliable.

Given the choice I would always choose 3ph if I had the availability of 3ph power.

Also, cheaper to buy used as les DIY market to skew the pricing.

As far as selling on goes, if this is for business use, then it will depreciate as an asset on the company books over a set number of years anyway, so by the time (if) you come to sell, then anything you get for it may be a bonus, as it will be worth £0 on your books anyway.

yea I have decided on 3ph. Because all the units on the estate are 3ph then am I right in assuming that the compressor's on/off switch will be directly wired up to the fuse box?

Not quite, you must have an isolator between the distribution board and the compressor mounted "on-off switch" that complies with statute legislation.

ok great, starting to make sense. Glad I came here, great help as my head was way over complicating stuff.