Pvc V Xple

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could measure over the insulation of the cores & OD of the incoming sheath, they are different between the PVC & the XLPE versions.

Unfortunately the sizes are in the BS which is stupidly expensive, though, if you can see the manufacturers name on the outer sheath then you could check their data.

You could try putting a piece in an oven at just over 140 degrees C (along with known pieces of pvc and xple) and see whether it breaks down? AFAIK pvc should, xple shouldn't.

"The heat stability of raw PVC is very poor, so the addition of a heat stabilizer during the process is necessary in order to ensure the product's properties. PVC starts to decompose when the temperature reaches 140 °C, with melting temperature starting around 160 °C."

"Almost all cross-linkable polyethylene compounds (XLPE) for wire and cable applications are based on LDPE. XLPE-insulated cables have a rated maximum conductor temperature of 90 °C and an emergency rating up to 140 °C, depending on the standard used. They have a conductor short-circuit rating of 250 °C."

You could measure over the insulation of the cores & OD of the incoming sheath, they are different between the PVC & the XLPE versions.

Unfortunately the sizes are in the BS which is stupidly expensive, though, if you can see the manufacturers name on the outer sheath then you could check their data.

Canoeboy said:
Sometimes has a BS number on it

I have no access to the SWA except in the DB .

AFAIA most of SWA is XPLE now days,,, however I always calc for PVC as I can't guarantee that the terminations will be rated for the higher temperature......

My local independant always supplies PVC unless XPLE is specifically mentioned .

I have inspected a job (awful work) done only 5 months ago by a NICEIC contractor. One of the many things is a 6mm, 3c swa buried for about 18m with a 40A , B type breaker. If its XPLE its ok.

I have no access to the SWA except in the DB .

My local independant always supplies PVC unless XPLE is specifically mentioned .

I have inspected a job (awful work) done only 5 months ago by a NICEIC contractor. One of the many things is a 6mm, 3c swa buried for about 18m with a 40A , B type breaker. If its XPLE its ok.
Is it OK?

If you are thinking about rating it for 90 deg C then the devices at the terminations MUST also be 90 deg C rated.

Almost, all are not.

SO, whilst the tabulated CCC of XLPE is higher than PVC this is due to the increased operating temperature, which is actually wasteful anyway due to the increased Joule heating losses over the life of the cable.

However, you cannot rate XLPE @ 90 deg, thus utilise the higher CCC in the tables unless, you can guarantee that the termination temperatures will be acceptable to the connected devices.

Most "normal" B type MCB's encountered only have a 70 deg C rating.

Now PVC is rated according to the BGB @ 38A for a 6mm buried direct or in underground duct.

How much is not buried, if 18m is?

If the buried section dominates then it may not be OK regardless whether it is PVC or XLPE.

If it was predominantly on traywork, then it would probably be OK regardless of the cable type.