Downlight Hoods

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketflup

BDSM SUB & SWAGFAG™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customer has specified Fire hoods for the downlights in his rewire, Ive never bought one but have worked on a few different types.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hoods that aren't to blooming fiddly to install?

Noz, you must have had customers like this one, the downlights I'm installing are LED, he still wants hoods. :)

Like I said, hes spending well, I did say he doesn't need them but he wants them anyway.

I tried fitting "hoods " once ..they are the work of Beelzeebub .        I always  fit  fire rated " Cans"  C/w LED  lamps .  Builder is instructed NOT to cover them . 

Whoever follows after we're gone ...I have no control over .  Those greater than I should educate idiot lagging compnies about downlights ...but that will never happen .

I wish you the best of luck with the hoods  Sprocket :(      They're about £11 ea  last ones I looked at . :eek:

Are they in a loft Sprocket ?      Theres a metal cover that fits over the joists for up there , carries the lagging over the top .

Fitting hoods into a floor space is a pain ,   you'll just have to go for it to keep him happy .    

I had a customer like him once who insisted on the  board  upgrade being a BS 3036  board , this was about 2 yrs ago ...he was a  Railways engineer of some sort ..... convinced him in the end with a email from wholesaler saying they were unable to source one .   

The property is a bungalow, there is 2 layers of Kingspan in the loft everywhere. Ive cut my downlight holes in the plasterboard and have then followed those with a long drill bit to get the centre of the hole in the top layer of kingspan. Ill be using a bigger hole cutter to drill downwards and then installing the hoods.

I cant see it being too much of a prob, but have to find hoods that aren't going to be a total PITA to fit

The property is a bungalow, there is 2 layers of Kingspan in the loft everywhere. Ive cut my downlight holes in the plasterboard and have then followed those with a long drill bit to get the centre of the hole in the top layer of kingspan. Ill be using a bigger hole cutter to drill downwards and then installing the hoods.

I cant see it being too much of a prob, but have to find hoods that aren't going to be a total PITA to fit
As you're fitting them from above you probably be OK with any  old rubbish .

I'd rather clear a space round them  in the loft TBH ....but the customer wants them so be it .

Just to expand this thread .............more than once I've found downlights drilled & chiseled into floor joists before now . 

Last edited by a moderator: