DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

House Fire Caused By Insulation Over Downlights........

ProDave

Just watched Rebuild your house recorded last night on ITV

It was about rebuilding a house gutted by a fire.

It very briefly glossed over in a one sentence statement the fire was caused by "a down light in the ceiling setting fire to the insulation"

What a wasted opportunity to spend a few minutes explaining the issue and the danger of putting insulation over a down light. Perhaps if they had spent a few minutes and illustrated the problem, it just might save someone else losing their house or even their life.

I guess it wouldn't be interesting television? 

Surprised Trumpton are not on the case!

I would have thought more fires were caused this way than by spontaneous combustion of plastic DBs

It was in Glasgow. It's only LFB that set the wiring regs.

Cue someone to blame it on the lack of phart McPee

It was in Glasgow. It's only LFB that set the wiring regs.

Cue someone to blame it on the lack of phart McPee

Seen many a roof stuffed full of insulation - it's scarey

Aren't we 'sposed to go wading through that crap looking for aerial boosters & JB's or is that just for inspections???

All done on government grants that were too tight for kingspan! theres still some cowboys out there with a tranny full o rockwool :(

I check downlights on an EICR for insulation cover. I don't want to be the one signing a bit of paper to say the electrics are fine then it catches fire next week.

Surprised Trumpton are not on the case!

I would have thought more fires were caused this way than by spontaneous combustion of plastic DBs

They did a big push on DL's 2013/14 then in late 2014 moved on to a push advising home owners of  clearing the cupboards of combustible items around consumer units & dno meters

next they will be wanting everything made from asbestos

Archived