DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Extending Large Csa Cables

Martin

Hi guys

I need to extend the four cores of a 25mm SWA inside a new board. I was thinking of butt splicing and insulating with heatshrink. Anyone got a better idea that this?

Regards

Martin

crimp and heatshrink is usually easiest option

^^ Seconded.

That's how I do it.

Just make sure you use the right crimper for the crimps and cable.

Speaking of crimps, i only do a few, so i have got a set of [sWP i think] crimpers that do a "stab" crimp. Are these things any good, of should i get a set that do hexagonal crimps???

john..

Probably SWA, and the "stab" crimpers are OK.

Hex are expensive, and not essential.

Yes , as said above ,  just use 4 through crimps & tape them up  or sleeve them if you want .

well I would use an underground joint kit (resin filled type) or a Joint box with a post type terminal's and crimp lugs .  

well I would use an underground joint kit (resin filled type) or a Joint box with a post type terminal's and crimp lugs .  

Inside a DB Poni?

why would you put a resin joint inside a DB?!

Well Andy I would never do that, no matter what.

Also, that presumes that one is extending an SWA really, which is what an underground resin joint is designed for.

A resin joint is not really "designed" for 25mm sq singles.

quite right I should read the whole post first DER

Just for info - 25sq.mm isn't large - its small.........

i was wondering who was going to say that first, either you or sidewinder

see how small I feel now!

It did cross my mind, but, I let boaty get there first! ;)

They have an insulated 4 terminal joint in my wholesalers.... I think it does upto 25mm

Thanks for all the thoughts, I think I'll stick to my original plan. There isn't space for a resin joint, which within the confines of the board is a bit OTT IMHO. I appreciate in the scheme of things that 25mm isn't big, but when your getting on a bit! This all came about as a result of the insurance surveyor finding said cables terminated in a MCB with some of the cores chopped to make it fit. The MCB had also obviously overheated at some point. The installation comprises a Bill BS88 db and an Ottermill TP&N db which were secondhand when installed 30 or so years ago, so it's all a horrible mess, time for a new board.

Regards

Martin

see how small I feel now!

Go and stand in the naughty corner Poni :red card ....and next time read the OP first ...............like we all do   :innocent:tongue in cheek

Archived