Extending Large Csa Cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need to extend the four cores of a 25mm SWA inside a new board. I was thinking of butt splicing and insulating with heatshrink. Anyone got a better idea that this?

Regards

Martin

well I would use an underground joint kit (resin filled type) or a Joint box with a post type terminal's and crimp lugs .  

Well Andy I would never do that, no matter what.

Also, that presumes that one is extending an SWA really, which is what an underground resin joint is designed for.

A resin joint is not really "designed" for 25mm sq singles.

Thanks for all the thoughts, I think I'll stick to my original plan. There isn't space for a resin joint, which within the confines of the board is a bit OTT IMHO. I appreciate in the scheme of things that 25mm isn't big, but when your getting on a bit! This all came about as a result of the insurance surveyor finding said cables terminated in a MCB with some of the cores chopped to make it fit. The MCB had also obviously overheated at some point. The installation comprises a Bill BS88 db and an Ottermill TP&N db which were secondhand when installed 30 or so years ago, so it's all a horrible mess, time for a new board.

Regards

Martin

see how small I feel now!
Go and stand in the naughty corner Poni :red card ....and next time read the OP first ...............like we all do   :innocent
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png