Windows 10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
has anyone here heard of a free windows 10 upgrade I have a icon on the bottom tool bar by the clock asking to reserve my free upgrade "this is a limited offer" I don't like Limited offer's I think I am about to be ripe-off every time I here this

Why have they gone from Windows 8 to Windows 10?  What happened to 9?

I know, it's because every other M$ operating system is a dud, so they thought they would avoid that by skipping a number. But hold on, by that reasoning they have missed out the next good one.........

The offer's not limited, you don't have to register to receive the upgrade. All the 'reserving' does is schedule a notification to tell you when the update is released  :)

Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve?Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you don’t reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.

To be fair I've been using a new Macbook Pro since January and have Windoes 8.1 on two laptops and one desktop.

I have found 8.1 very stable, never had a problem with it, and runs every program you throw at it.

Now the Macbook Pro with latest OSX, I like the speed, hate the way you cut, copy and move files seem very long winded, also software can be a problem, and I cannot see the point of using Parrellells and Bootcamp, because if you do that you might just as well have a Windows machine.

So my review after 6 months of using the two OS systems side by side, is Windows is better, just and maybe 10 will be the tipping point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just asked my boy if he received the update offer on his Win7 64-bit gaming pc and he hasn't. All legit, genuine copy from a reputable system builder and came with the Win 7 discs so wondering why not...............

Check bottom toolbar where white flag is on right side, click flag and check for updates, on my 64bit thats where it said click to register update.
That's what I said to him. There's no icon that shows the update is available. I've had him do the general update and we'll see what happens thereafter.

The offer appears if all windows updates are up to date and certain other triggers are met at logon. If the system is up to date it is possible to trigger it anyway but I've never needed to do more than download all the updates and then reboot

Well most reports seem to say it's full of bugs.

Oh and full of Microsoft Spyware.  this is just some of what I read on other forums:

Take a look at all the personal data W10 is sending to Microsoft in return for you downloading it. It includes them being allowed to read and use the content of all your emails, believe it or not.

You do have the option to opt out of a lot of "privacy settings" but by default Microsoft have the right to use all of your personal data, including email content, as they wish. This is all a part on Microsoft moving towards a subscription model, where you may pay an annual fee for your computer to carry on working.

The amount of data the 10 is collecting, even after you have turned all the features off is still high.
Not sure how much higher it is than version 8.1 that I am running, but it seems to have got out of hand.

"Interests and favorites. We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favorite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a Microsoft service to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations.

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

"We've asked Microsoft if there is any way to disable this additional communication or information about what its purpose is. We were told "As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be delivered to provide ongoing new features to Bing search, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code. No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted), but also likely to run counter to most people's expectations; if Web searching and Cortana are disabled, we suspect that the inference that most people would make is that searching the Start menu wouldn't hit the Internet at all. But it does. The traffic could be innocuous, but the inclusion of a machine ID gives it a suspicious appearance.

"We've argued recently that operating systems will continue to make privacy-functionality trade-offs. For many users, perhaps even the majority, these trade-offs will be worthwhile; services such as Cortana (Siri, Google Now), cloud syncing of files, passwords, and settings, and many other modern operating system features are all valuable, and many will feel that the loss of privacy is an acceptable price to pay. But the flip side of this is that disabling these services for those who don't want to use them should really disable them. And it's not at all clear that Windows 10 is doing that right now."

Last edited by a moderator:
So much more like the Windows 7 OS. Windows 8 was made for touch screen PCs and I hated it. 10 is very user friendly and that is what we all want really. Still need to spend some time with it but I actually am looking forward to it. With 8 I never wanted to touch the laptop.

Well most reports seem to say it's full of bugs.

Oh and full of Microsoft Spyware.  this is just some of what I read on other forums:

Take a look at all the personal data W10 is sending to Microsoft in return for you downloading it. It includes them being allowed to read and use the content of all your emails, believe it or not.

You do have the option to opt out of a lot of "privacy settings" but by default Microsoft have the right to use all of your personal data, including email content, as they wish. This is all a part on Microsoft moving towards a subscription model, where you may pay an annual fee for your computer to carry on working.

The amount of data the 10 is collecting, even after you have turned all the features off is still high.

Not sure how much higher it is than version 8.1 that I am running, but it seems to have got out of hand.

"Interests and favorites. We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favorite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a Microsoft service to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations.

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

"We've asked Microsoft if there is any way to disable this additional communication or information about what its purpose is. We were told "As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be delivered to provide ongoing new features to Bing search, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code. No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted), but also likely to run counter to most people's expectations; if Web searching and Cortana are disabled, we suspect that the inference that most people would make is that searching the Start menu wouldn't hit the Internet at all. But it does. The traffic could be innocuous, but the inclusion of a machine ID gives it a suspicious appearance.

"We've argued recently that operating systems will continue to make privacy-functionality trade-offs. For many users, perhaps even the majority, these trade-offs will be worthwhile; services such as Cortana (Siri, Google Now), cloud syncing of files, passwords, and settings, and many other modern operating system features are all valuable, and many will feel that the loss of privacy is an acceptable price to pay. But the flip side of this is that disabling these services for those who don't want to use them should really disable them. And it's not at all clear that Windows 10 is doing that right now."
That's still not as bad as Mac conditions though,

But, time will tell,

That's why I won't use either of their bastardised versions of the code both their OS's are based on.