Bonding Gone Mad

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen plenty of boilers where ALL the pipes entering the bottom are bonded together.

And the old practice of a bond onto a kitchen sink.

I would have expected if anything to see a big flat strip of copper as a lightening conductor if anything. I can't imagine that "joint" actually flexes very much?

i dont think that little bit of copper is going to match the large lump of steel.... unless it has rubber bushes, but it doesnt look like it

same with the boilers - all connected inside boiler anyway, no point in it

I am sure we have all seen instances of this, the 15th edition or the misunderstanding of,  is to blame for a lot of it.  Anyhow, let me start off with this i saw at the weekend

attachicon.gif
2015-06-06 18.27.00.jpg

Its one of the two legs of the London eye
Busman's holiday was it?  :lol:

Wouldn't be to do with static reduction would it?

Shock absorbers? they look springy enough.

Or perhaps last resort restraining cables, in case the main ones fail they look just long enough to stop the punters getting wet. :)

I'm veering towards Apprentice's  galvanic protection /  cathodic protection  type thing .  

The main gas network uses cathodic protection on their steel pipes , stops them rusting . 

Reminds me of something my dad told me about .   Apparently  ships become magnetised like giant compass needles ,  and will attract magnetic mines to them  ,  and also enable them to be detected as " bend" the Earth's field, so they carry out "Degaussing  "    (My spelling)     by draping cables over the side  (Possibly with AC passing through them , just  guessing  )