Definitive Maps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I've had a look at what I 'think' is the one for my area, but I'm not 100% if it's the right one, or I'm doing it right, 

Will check again after the bike racing. 

Yes, the definitive map shows as steps has explained. It is a legal document... If a road is on there, it is a road, if not, it is not.... In a dispute, in theory, a judge will look at the map, and that is the end of the matter, the map is always right...

Shame about all the mistakes in it then. You will find loads of roads etc that do not go anywhere, they just end in the middle of nowhere. This is because when whoever drew the thing did it, they could not be arsed to do a proper job. It was cobbled together from older parish maps and the like, so, often, a road or whatever will be shown to end at what WAS the old "parish boundary" great......

Another thing is lieing farmers...... Now, say a road is clearly shown as going from "A" to "B" The farmer p****** will simply block it up. I have seen this done with full scale proper tarmac roads!!!! The tossers blocked them up and told people it was for the "foot and mouth" Then they simply blocked them up permanently and removed the road signs!!!! There was one by me where the halfwit fitted a gate. I would go and open it and drive down the road. One irate farmer comes out shouting the odds....  Bad idea!!!! The bloke i had with me worked for the councils "rights of way" department!!!

Another thing a farmer will do.....

Say they have a farm on the side of the road. They will block the road up. Next thing, you contact the Local authority. The farmer will say; "oh no, it is not a road from "A" to "B" it is TWO SEPARATE ROADS that only led to my farm" I know it is crap, the farmer knows it is crap, the LA knows it is crap, but they will not tell to farmer to unblock the road, as, it is just one more road to maintain.

There is no law in this country now, whoever is biggest and has the most money wins....

Hi Steps, what you want the map for?? Where have you been riding a bike now!!!!!

john...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you have a right to go to your council offices and view their definitive map.  Certainly worth doing in your case.

I don't know if you are allowed to take a copy of parts of it, but certainly in your case take a pencil and paper and sketch exactly what it shows if they won't give you a copy.

I know what you are hoping it will show, and if it does you would then be able to refer to the councils definitive map in your argument.