Swa 2.5Mm 2 Core Joining To Swa 2.5Mm 3 Core!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary Wright

Reaction score
Hi All

I hope you will be able to help me as you have in the past with my DIY questions?

I have a separate circuit for my garden lighting coming from a consumer unit in the house. The SWA 2.5 mm 2 core comes out of the house through a solid concrete floor then through the brick wall where it is terminated outside currently with a two way joint box terminal.

The  SWA 2 core that supplied the 4 lamps in the garden has been disconnected by the builders due to the patio being extended. Now that the extended foundation is in place the SWA 2 core will not reach back to meet the original two way joint box.

I went and bought length of SWA 2.5 mm with the intention of taking away the two way joint box next to the house and replace it with armoured cable resin joint and join the new cable to it and then at the edge of the new patio add a three way joint box and join the old cable with the new and at the same time spur off to add an extra 4 lamps.

I hope this is clear thus far?

I have just discovered that the cable that I bought is not 2 core but 3 core and i doubt it very much that the shop will take it back and exchange it.  Will i be able to use this cable and just not connect the earth wire?

Also, now that I have the extra SWA wire, is this the best way to join it to the existing circuit ie: using an armoured cable resin joint which will be buried at least 3 feet deep into a flower bed and then using a three way joint box to connect to the old lights (2 core) and then spur off for the new lights in 3 core?

Any pointer you can give me will be much appreciated  and thanks for your time.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

With best regards 

GARY

the earths must ALWAYS be connected, however 3 core SWA doesnt have an earth coloured conductor, in most cases its perfectly acceptable to use the armour as the earth, so your 3rd core would just not be connected, or it could be connected to the armour at the joint

resin joint is usually the best option

You can buy 3 core SWA as brown / blue / Green&yellow. Perhaps this is what the OP has got?

If so joint the green&yellow to the armour.