110V Cte Transformer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at a job in a factory during the summer shut down.

Part of it is to fit a permanent 400:110V CTE transformer say around 5 - 10 kVA and then run out to 60309 sockets around the factory.

Full details are being worked on.

Just wondering who would you go to for the transformer?

I have tried a few already and am awaiting replies, but I am looking more for recommendations of quality/service/support, IYKWIM.

Even if I work the spec with the manufacturer and then purchase through a wholesaler.

I don't want to be going through a 3rd party to sort the spec really.

Then I have to overcome getting MCCB's for the old MEM panel board, they are a type which seem to be obsolete!

Client will go bonkers if they have to consider changing the panel board, so will I.

I don't think that they will consider used, but I may be putting that to them and wording the contract such that we won't warranty the kit.

There's a technical issue here.

110V CTE means it's a single phase transformer, so even if it's a 400V primary it's still only single phase.  but I'm sure you knew that already.

I only mention it as you can buy 3 phase 400V to 110V transformers but they won't be CTE.

If you want to load balance therefore, three smaller 400V to 110V  CTE transformers would be the way to go.

ive used http://www.ete.co.uk/ a few times

erm... they are CTE... simply 3 phases with 110v P-P, or 63v P-E
Yes I can see that now, but a "proper" 110V CTE tx is 55V p-e. you can't achieve that with a 3 phase tx.

If the customer will accept a 3 phase star wound secondary tx 110V p-p, with the star point earthed, then go for it, but to my mind that's not quite a proper CTE.

The distribution board from the tx to the sockets could be "interesting"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, yes my poor description perhaps.

The supply is 2 x 230V input, thus 400 V between two phases, which is kind of single phase, but I don't like the term, to me it's two phase, it can't be 3 phase, which I why I didn't say 3 phase.

I am looking at 2 x 55V CTE output, it's for "yellow" plugs IYKWIM.

They want to do away with carrying transformers around and have fixed 110 distribution down the lines for maintenance works.

DB between Tx & sockets will be full of DP breakers not unusual, mind I might, get the "DB" built into the transformer housing.

Hi Sidewinder

"Then I have to overcome getting MCCB's for the old MEM panel board, they are a type which seem to be obsolete!"

I'm in the middle of a job that needed MCCBs for a MEM2 board. I have it direct from Eaton technical that they are about 12 years obsolete so your only chance is ethingy, which personally I wouldn't chance. Solved my problem with an additional Proteus MCCB board, not my first choice but money is an issue.

Regards

Martin

Thank you Martin, I was pretty convinced that they were obsolete, poor show from Eaton TBH, Schneider will still supply compatible stuff for most of their old boards.

Typical Yanks, it's our way or the Highway.

I have done the add on panel board thing before, but that was to a 1600A unit with fuse switches.

The annoying thing about this panel board is it is an 8 way (ish) could be more with most of them free.

Problem has been overcome anyway in the meantime, there is a Schneider (MG) Type B board the other end of the line, so we will use that, the loads are only small, we were just looking to offer the client another power centre.

Thank you Martin, I was pretty convinced that they were obsolete, poor show from Eaton TBH, Schneider will still supply compatible stuff for most of their old boards.

Typical Yanks, it's our way or the Highway.

I have done the add on panel board thing before, but that was to a 1600A unit with fuse switches.

The annoying thing about this panel board is it is an 8 way (ish) could be more with most of them free.

Problem has been overcome anyway in the meantime, there is a Schneider (MG) Type B board the other end of the line, so we will use that, the loads are only small, we were just looking to offer the client another power centre.
Don't forget my PM....if suitable they can be put on hold