New Consumer Box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudeboy500

Reaction score
Good Afternoon guy's 
Hope you are all well
I need some advice, before I fit a new Consumer box do I need to notify Building Control. The reason why I ask this question is I have booked for an assessor to come out after I have fitted a new Consumer unit as well as carried out the usual tests to come and assess me so I can be listed on as Full Scope to self-certify myself. 
Your advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Rudeboy500

If it's Nicey assessor will ask to see the notification if you are not already registered, so mine informed me back in Dec, he also said they will not accept work at your own home as an assessment job.

I'm not an assessor so can not confirm this but maybe it would be prudent to ask the scheme operator you are wanting to join.

Question

Is this notification need even after completion of job( incl CU) somebody else will certify ?

Thank you

If it's Nicey assessor will ask to see the notification if you are not already registered, so mine informed me back in Dec, he also said they will not accept work at your own home as an assessment job.

I'm not an assessor so can not confirm this but maybe it would be prudent to ask the scheme operator you are wanting to join.
I wonder why not?  Surely it's better to do a half ar$ed job in your home and only put your own life at risk, than some innocent fee paying customer's?  After all, the assessment may highlight loads of deficiencies in the work, or the person carrying it out, especially if it's the initial one.

(Not suggesting this is the case for the OP)

If you think you are a competent electrician then just do it .  I know what the rules are but if you don't have a job to demonstrate how can you move on .

If you have the slightest qualms about doing it , then you are not competent , and that is the criteria . 

When you say Full Scope ,  do you do industrial & commercial ?     If you only do domestic  , change the board , join Stroma , for self notifying , half the cost of the others .    I don't know any Stromaites so I don't know what they are like , perhaps any members may post on the subject.