Amd 6770 On Ubuntu 13.10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zorin 8 OS 64-bit (based on Ubuntu 13.10)

AMD Radeon HD 6770, 1GB, GDDR5, graphics card

Trying to run the AutoCAD clone Draftsight 2015 SP3 and the mouse lag makes it unuseable.

From reading it suggests updating the AMD drivers.

Any ideas how, aka an idiots guide? Will be the first "linux" driver I've had to install on the basis everything so far has just worked.

Cheers

Zorin 8 OS 64-bit (based on Ubuntu 13.10)

AMD Radeon HD 6770, 1GB, GDDR5, graphics card

Trying to run the AutoCAD clone Draftsight 2015 SP3 and the mouse lag makes it unuseable.

From reading it suggests updating the AMD drivers.

Any ideas how, aka an idiots guide? Will be the first "linux" driver I've had to install on the basis everything so far has just worked.

Cheers
ok, Im not sure just how zorin works,

but,

have you installed proprietary drivers?

if so,

then,

sudo apt-get updateshould work

I never installed ANY drivers. It just all worked from the off; printers, sound etc no problems. Draftsight DID work OK but 2015 SP3 and tbh SP2 also are unuseable. Seems to be when the drawing gets quite detailed. Tried the Samsung lappy with Draftsight SP2 on and that's the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
FFS I nearly shat mesen then

Watching RR in her football kit, refreshed this page and lo,and behold

AMD 6770......... Last time i looked we were on Amd3

Then i realised it was not BS7671... Thought i had spent too long ogling RR in her shorts

Just relieved
Ever so slightly translucent frilly pink sparkly backless dress....

Who gives a **** about bs7671!

:slap

I never installed ANY drivers. It just all worked from the off; printers, sound etc no problems. Draftsight DID work OK but 2015 SP3 and tbh SP2 also are unuseable. Seems to be when the drawing gets quite detailed. Tried the Samsung lappy with Draftsight SP2 on and that's the same.
ok, yep, stuff will work,

but often it will work just that little bit better with proprietary drivers,

is there a little green block thingie in your top bar? there is if proprietary drivers are available in vanilla ubuntu,

if so click on it,

you may have to go to software centre and allow permissions to accept them though,

unfortunately I dont know zorin,,,,,

ok, yep, stuff will work,

but often it will work just that little bit better with proprietary drivers,

is there a little green block thingie in your top bar? there is if proprietary drivers are available in vanilla ubuntu,

if so click on it,

you may have to go to software centre and allow permissions to accept them though,

unfortunately I dont know zorin,,,,,
To my mind Zorin has sacrificed the "tweakability" that Ubuntu has to look just like Windows 7. No green block btw.

Its a right pita. My base drawing lives in Dropbox so I can add to it from anywhere. 

The Zorin desktop and lappy both have laggy Draftsights installed so are now unuseable.

The unfinished Windows XP SP4 (yes the non MS service pack) machine has AutoCAD 2010 it. 

I've never quite got to grips with networking and sharing between Windows and Linux machines, besides that I can't find the correct ethernet driver for the WIndows pc anyway!

So.........I save the .dwg file to a stick from Draftsight on the Zorin pc - it can manage that. Stick that in the Windows XP pc and fire up AutoCAD............which then tells me that it can't read the file.........as Draftsight default saved to AutoCAD 2013. Back to the Zorin pc and save as AutoCAD 2000 - 2002 compatible .dwg.............and so on.