24V Panel, 12V Batts - Which Solar Charger?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Flint

Reaction score
My battery bank is 12v but the panels I want are 24v. I'm looking for charge controller that can use these panels and charge my 12v system.

The panels are 24v - max point volt, 33; max open circuit, 46; max amp out, 4; max total power 136w

I want to option of using 4 of these panels for 500w array.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank,

Mark

I could charge the batteries in series I guess, but I want an even discharge across the batteries. If they were in series how could I evenly draw off power at 12v without discharging one battery before another? Sorry if I ask stupid question, I don't have electrical training.

Perhaps it would be better if you were to say exactly what it is you are trying to do / run, and why is it you want these 24v panels?

I will be running the 12v electrics on my yacht.

I want these panels because they are long and thin (18 foot x 15.5 inches) and flexible - so are perfect for running down the length of my boat.

The panels really are the only 'non-negotiable' item (google Uni-Solar-PVL 136 if you are interested) so I suppose I could possibly run a 24v system on the boat but would prefer 12v. 

Dropper after the battery or between batteries and panels.

Efficiency you would need to look into yourself and satisfy your own requirements.

Ah, a yacht. Would solar panels really be what you want, or just what you think would be right? I can't help but wonder how good they would be after getting wet on a regular basis. Have you not considered a 12v wind turbine, works when there is no sunshine / light and doesn't need to face any particular direction.

Canoeboy - many thanks for the link, looks good.

Yep, I'm thinking solar first, but also considering a wind turbine as well.

I've found a couple of charge controllers that look promising and not expensive, although I'm not sure they sell directly in the UK:

I've cant post links yet, but if you google "morningstar tristar ts mppt 30" or "morningstar sunsaver mppt" you will find them. The first is a 30amp and the second a 15amp, although they also do higher amparage such as 60a units which would be way too big for my boat needs.

Wire panels in series, ampage will be less than 8 amps unless you buy exotic panels at horrendous prices. Check Ioc - that's the short circuit current flow of the panels you buy.