Career Change, What Next!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2thegame84

Reaction score
Hi as you can probably guess by my name I'm new to the industry, I have always been around construction but wanted to take on a trade, I've always been interested in becoming an electrician so recently embarked on a domestic installers course, now I'm stuck, I currently have the 17th edition 3rd amendment, part p, 2392, 2394 and 2395 as well as PAT testing cert, I've secured a job as a maintenance electrician, it seems that any form of site work has to be backed with a jib card which i can't have as i need to get a level 3 but i was told the 2394/95 was a level 3?? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nb: i do realise that qualifications are just paper and i need experience, but at the moment I'm unsure what to apply for with the qualifications i have got.

thanks in advance 

Afraid to say you've been duped. The quality that you have have little significance within the real job sector, you might be alright with a domestic only outfit, but will need supervising.

You really should have saved your money and gone to a proper college first for advice, they would have put you on the right C&G course to gain the proper qualification to move you forward in this career.

Sorry if it's not what you expected but that's the truth for you.

I don't understand but it is late, does he not say he has secured a job as a maintenance spark? So I don't get what he is asking.

Confused.

Does he realise what would be expected to earn decent money as a site house basher?

I very much doubt it,

they don't have any standards to go down to........ 

Hi thanks for the responses, I did save my money and go to a learning centre, It would appear that £5k and no days off since april have been a waste of time, i was trying to get ahead in life, I have got a job offer as a maintenance electrician, but its working for a chain of hotels so the work is changing light bulbs and so on, its a start but I just wanted to see if anyone could point me in any direction as you've said i have been duped, so there must be away i can use what little i have gained and add to it, as industry members what would you suggest my next port of call would be... so to speak  

Think a good starting point in your new career would be to take the job with the hotel chain to get some maintenance experience under your belt, hopefully you will be with someone who can bring your skill set on.  The more experience you can get just now the better otherwise your £5k will be wasted.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe t or not, that is what my life has become recently!

But it gets done at my normal,hourly rate plus travel etc. works out F dear sometimes BUT client does not care and pays seriously good coin
same here. dirty work house bashing or replacing lamps all day, i know which one i would do

depending on the age of the hotels, they could be very good experience, most of the ones I've seen are barely legal. Plenty of 3 phase stuff to hae a good look at

Just go for a job and check out all the electricians tutorials on youtube.    I have seen many shite electricians  earning a good wage,  you are likely way better than they are, and they have managed to stay employed for years.  You learn a lot when thrown in the deep end.  With your quals you will at least have an idea and be able to apply some maths which on site is rarely done.

Evening gents, thanks for replying, I have accepted the job and have looked it to doing a nvq level 3 in electronic maintenance, which when coupled with a level 3 course will allow me to progress, i have also offered my services on my day off to go and work for free with a domestic installer so i can gain some more experience, like i said previously i realise that i have a lot of experience to gain, its just the course i was sold perhaps didn't meet reality, there are going to be some pissed off lads at college tomorrow though, as a most of them are using it as a step to getting on site!  

if you really want to get on site you could do a CSCS card, and basically work as a sparks mate,

tbh, without the experience you need that is probably the pay rate most people will pay anyway,

good luck anyway in what you are trying to achieve,

btw, the CSCS is only a basic H&S test, I was pissed at myself for getting one wrong, without ANY revision, it really is that easy.

Starts at improver then technician then approved electrician then something else i think....so he should at least manage to get improver status with his quals i would imagine.