Bulb Trips The Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravino

Reaction score
This one has us confused....

Light circuit includes a switch to turn on/off a porch light.  All testing of the circuit (by our electrician) indicates it's a good circuit... but put a bulb in and the circuit trips.  Of course we've tried different bulbs and fittings but a little stumped...   I did ask if there is a possibility of using a bulb that draws less power i.e. LED, would that work?  Any tips would be of course, gratefully received.

Graham 

What trips? Is it a MCB or RCD?

If it still trips after your electrician had tested it then I don't think much of their testing methods.

However I have had a lamp that had a short cct between the fillament and the BC cap

Yes what's needed here is a different electrician.

If it's tripping then it can't be "a good circuit" so you need a better electrician who understands fault finding.

Make sure he tests it with a lamp in the fitting and the switch turned on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been any recent "unadmitted fiddling" ithnthemcct?

Is,it a new cct?

If either of the above are true then it could be a crossed neutral onnthe RCD side of the board, wrong connections in fiiting using say that nice soil coloured wire as earth and the bright funky green yellow one as a live

Loads of possibilities really

First step....try another lamp

Secondvstep....try another "electrician"

Just saying

Light circuit includes a switch to turn on/off a porch light.  All testing of the circuit (by our electrician) indicates it's a good circuit... but put a bulb in and the circuit trips.  Of course we've tried different bulbs and fittings but a little stumped...   I did ask if there is a possibility of using a bulb that draws less power i.e. LED, would that work?  Any tips would be of course, gratefully received.

Graham 
hi there sounds like proper testing is required by a insulation resistance meter. where abouts are you based as there are a few of us here that would probably be willing to take a look and diagnose the fault if you require us :) me included ;)

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/2194-find-your-local-electrician-here-list-of-uk-qualified-electricians/

maybe use to OP

I find it strange that people who employ electricians to do work on their property dive into forums as a first resort. 

If I left a job like that I wouldn't make it as far as the van before my customer(s) started complaining, never mind having any chance of getting paid for the half finished job...

Get him or her back to fix it, and if he/she refuses then contact Niceic / Napit / ECA or whoever they're registered with and make a formal complaint. 

However, my years of experience (cynicism) suggests that there is no electrician involved, but if there is then I apologise unreservedly to the OP.

Customers expectations don't help.  This morning's panic call, "sockets tripping, worried about the freezer".  It was actually the pump in the septic tank that had failed (on it's own circuit).  Fortunately my friendly plumber was able to attend (and do the sh!tty bit of the job) and I'm just back from re connecting the new one.

I guess plenty of "electricians" would have spent all day pulling the socket circuits to bits without finding a fault then asked on the forum about the "good socket circuit"

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham 

Who is "us"

What trips? MCB? RCD?

Has the light ever worked?

So many questions....... so few details

I am absolutely wowed by the responses here, I just logged on to see if there was a reply and there are loads - BIG thanks to you all.....

We've replaced an old consumer unit with a new double one and when on the old unit this fault was not apparent and using the light didn't trip anything.  Using the light now trips the main RCD.   Yes, testing the circuit proves ok, adding a fitting and socket causes the trip.   I'll get the electrician to read these responses (including the ones that recommend someone else...!!), I also wondered if it was a 'load' thing and if a low 'load drawing' bulb would maybe help..  Please don't have a pop at me, I'm just the client with daft ideas to 'help' who's hoping for a fix... :)

I'll get more info as this thing progresses......

Btw...

Trailer Boy - Electrician. - Electrician has mentioned this could be the case, just not found it yet

Badger... Meters are being used (though I'm not the one that's using it - probably for the best!) - I will keep your offer in mind

IzzyS - I looked for a Forum to see if I could help i.e. getting other input can sometimes help the 'penny drop' and help find another route to a solution, I assure you - it's not me fiddling with the cabled here ;)  

ProDave - Expecations can vary I expect.. I'd like a working light but am realistic that it can take time to find a fault, that's why I am happy to work with the Electrician to help solve the issue in any way I can

Murdoch - Us = Me (Graham) and the Electrician (Frank)

Manator - So using Compost to help bed the bulb into the socket is not recommended then? 

So your "electrician" changed your consumer unit for a "new double one" which I assume means it has two RCD's?

And ever since the change, using this light has caused the "main" rcd to trip (quite which one you mean by the main rcd when there are two I am not sure)

This sounds like a classic case of borrowed neutral, a fault that would not have bothered the old fuse box but should have been found and corrected when the "electrician" changed the consumer unit.

Give him a chance to prove himself competent and call him back (show him this thread?) if not you need someone who is competent.