Led Wifi Controlled Strip Lighting (Rgbw)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan dan

Reaction score
Hi can anyone please help with options and advice regarding my current kitchen installation

The ceiling has a rectangular built out ledge and shadow gap continuing aroud the room (the recess is around 6 inches deep and sits 3 inches lower than the main ceiling)

I need to find and in turn source a good quality length/s totalling 20 meters of led strip lighting (rgbw) with wifi connectivity so it can be activated with smartphones and tablets remotely

That said most of the time It will be used white only via a normal light switch

I would like to know what's required, recommendation regarding options, what and more importantly what not to buy.

Thanks Dan

I fitted some mains RGB  I was a bit disappointed in the brightness of it,,,, it's only really good enough as accent lighting

I don't know if it had wifi connectivity as they just wanted it to operate by the remote

you can add wifi to almost anything these days with a bit of ingenuity,

not sure if you will actually find an 'off the shelf' solution tbh

its probably going to be a mix and match of components to get a decent result

you could do it with something as simple as a raspberry pi,  :)

yep, i've been playing with mine a lot of late,  [the raspberry Pi that is,  ;)   ]

Why cobble something together???

A quick google for "wifi RGB LED tape" gives loads of results,,,,,,, just make sure that you get a one that will control the voltage of the tape that you get

Mains tape has a much higher lumens/meter output

Why cobble something together???

A quick google for "wifi RGB LED tape" gives loads of results,,,,,,, just make sure that you get a one that will control the voltage of the tape that you get

Mains tape has a much higher lumens/meter output
ive fitted a few customer supplied wifi LED tapes

all been very intermittent with connectivity and commands tbh,

was just thinking if you set your wifi up separately then you can connect whatever tape you want to it,

all depends on plug and play or working well in the long term I suppose,

but, technology is getting better I suppose, so you may strike lucky and get a good system.

I have fitted a few RGB LED strip lights.

I have found that the cheap rubbish on eBay is not half as bright as proper kit sold through reputable wholesalers.

I have used Leyton lighting based in Basildon to do some custom made LED stuff who have been very helpful and good quality. Might be worth asking them if they have WiFi adapters for there kit.