Immersion Heater Thermostat Keeps Tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SplashDad

Reaction score
I have recently had PV solar panels fitted with Solar iBoost installed to heat my water tank through the immersion heater. My immersion heater thermostat now keeps tripping. Do I need to replace the thermostat for a different type? What tests can I do first?

System is Heatrae Sadia Megaflo

11" 3kW immersion element

Thermostat ref no. 96 612 599

The system works generally for a day but needs resetting every other day, max every 2days but when it's working it works very well

What do you mean by "My immersion heater thermostat now keeps tripping" thermostats as a rule don't "trip" they switch on and off according to the temperature.

What do you mean by "My immersion heater thermostat now keeps tripping" thermostats as a rule don't "trip" they switch on and off according to the temperature.
Most now have a safety trip built in that shuts it off if the main thermostat fails.  If the main thermostat is set too close to the (fixed) setting if the safety trip it can cause it to trip.

Thanks guys. I have dropped the temp setting on the thermostat back slightly to see if that helps. Hopefully this will fix the problem. I will update either way in a couple of days.

Richard-the-ninth, there is a small red safety trip which keeps popping. Hopefully dropping the temp will solve the problem.

I have the feeling that it is an indirect cylinder with a boiler also heating the water. In which case the thermostat/immheater should have been wired in series with a motorised valve so that if the set temp is reached (or if the overheat trips) the motorised valve should close, stopping boiler water from further heating the cylinder.

Perhaps the solar pv people installed the wiring directly to the immheater/thermostat and the thermostat is shutting down but the boiler water continues to heat the cylinder. It does seem odd that the tripping occurred after solar pv visit.

Also have you had the cylinder regularly serviced by an unvented cylinder qualified installer?

Edit; as far as I know, the thermal cut-out activates at 95 degrees, the set temp should be around 80 degrees max, why would the boiler water be so hot? Might need looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be a separate tank thermostat for the boiler. the immersion heater will have it's own thermostat. I can't believe anyone is that incompetent they would have got the two mixed up.