Plug And Play Hot Tub

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flicks

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I wonder if any of you could offer me a bit of advice please? I really struggle with the concept of electrics so please forgive me if some of the wording is incorrect.

We are looking to buy a small plug and play Hot Tub, (or Spa). I am struggling to understand what problems we may be faced with, (apart from larger Electricity bills obviously).

The Spa plugs into a standard 13 amp weatherproof socket. I am aware that the Spa comes with quite a short power lead due to ampage drop. Can I assume that if we get an Electrician to run a new weatherproof socket from our ring main, that the length of lead from the spur to the socket needs to be taken into account as well?

Also how are we likely to stand with regards to the consumer unit tripping due to too many amps being drawn? I believe that they can handle around 32amps so would we need to work out the ampage of everything connected to the ring main and not exceed this amount?

We obviously don't want to be in a situation where we have to unplug or switch things off in order to use the Spa as this would be more hassle than it's worth.

Any advice and corrections would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you.

13Amp for a hot tub is rather 'weedy'. It is unlikely to overload a 32Amp ring main, but i would seriously question if it man enough to be any good. My advice would be install a new circuit for the tub, and possiblly buy one a few Kw higher to get a reasonable experience. Or you could buy a woodburning version...

Hi binky,

Thanks for your swift and interesting reply. I never even contemplated the amount of power from the jets etc.

This raises a new question then if I may. If a normal non plug and play more powerful spa is purchased where would I stand with no spare spaces on the consumer unit?

Thanks again.

Hi binky,

Thanks for your swift and interesting reply. I never even contemplated the amount of power from the jets etc.

This raises a new question then if I may. If a normal non plug and play more powerful spa is purchased where would I stand with no spare spaces on the consumer unit?

Thanks again.
The two solutions are change the consumer unit for a larger one, or install a second one.

I have to say that if there is no spare capacity then I worry if it's an old CU that doesn't even have an RCD so there's another issue to think about.

Incidentally I came across an inflatable hot tub the other day. The "works" are in a barrel shaped unit that sits next to the tub and is joined to it by 3 or 4 hoses. Assuming it has at most a 3KW heater I guess it takes a while to heat up.

The one I saw had a very long (and surprisingly thick) mains flex.  I assumed it was because you are not supposed to have a socket within 3 metres of a tub, so it had to have a long lead to be able to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apprentice 87, thank you for your kindness. These are just little bits I am picking up as I go along.

ProDave, thanks for your comments. The consumer unit does have an RCD. I can confirm this as our dog is fit and well after chewing through a cable causing it to trip.

The type of spa you are referring to I am semi familiar with. As I understand it they are rather noisy compared to a proper spa, (although quite substantially cheaper to buy). Not sure if they are intended to be situated all year long as I think the pump/ heater unit can be damaged by frosts etc.

Interesting you say it was a 3Kw heater which would take a while to heat the water. The spa we have been looking at is only a 2Kw!

Thanks again everybody.

the sun would be quicker LOL. It will take ages to heat up that amount of water. Most of the tubs I've seen are 30-40A, some are even 3 phase. Once it is up to temp, it probably doesn't use that much electric depending on the insulation of the sides.

I would serach for product reviews on t'internet and see waht people say about the unit. Think you would be better with one of these - certainly no nasty mix of water and electric, though might lack bubbles!!

Dutchtub-wood-liggend-website-2-LRG.jpg

I know a couple of people who have bought those inflatable Lay Spa type tubs and are more than happy with them. (Fat lasses too so more surface area to heat /pummel :lol:  ). The only downside if you can call it that is I don't think they have seating per se though could be wrong. As for heat output and jet power they're apparently OK. Looks like the reviews here then for example can be believed:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1449127.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091942765|tsid:59156|cid:189934285|lid:112114871605|nw:g|crid:71525378365|rnd:4562163672388542084|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

Other friends have full blow 8-person "proper" hot tubs and all they ever seem to be doing is whinging about the cost of chemicals and how long it takes to clean / drain etc.

Onoff. Yup, I can understand the cost of chemicals argument. I guess these things are costly in almost every respect.

I'm not going to knock the idea of an inflatable one on the head as this could be the way forward. Not going the 13amp route now mainly due to binky's comment about lack of power. I can accept that a spa costing a few hundred quid may lack a bit of oomph but one for a few thousand is a different matter.

Those woodburner ones look impressive but lack bubbles unless you buy an additional device to create them and the main idea of the spa is to help my wife with her aches and pains as we understand bubbles are good, (not to say I wouldn't enjoy an occasional tipple in there of an evening).

You have all been brilliant and I will take every bit of your advice on board before making up my mind for certain, apart from the hot tub boat, (sorry binky!)

Thanks again.

the boat just made me laugh - why the hell would you want one :slap

I'm sure a few bubbles could be added to a woodburner - its only an air pump at the end of the day. But if you want the full 'spa' treatment, I think you need to spend a few quid. People I know with tubs swear by them.