Farmland

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impervious

Reaction score
Hi,

Does any one know of an online calculator for voltage drop.

All the ones I have found use AWG instead of mm or don't work.

I was trying to calculate the volt drop on 100Mtrs & 170Mtrs SWA 16mm 3 core @ 60A

And do you know if you have to use ducting under farmland.

I have to wire up some barns.

Thanks for that.

I lost interest in the 17th edition when at 60 the JIB took my card away for failing a pathetic Health & Safety test which I had already passed 3 times.

I did previously read the page in the regs book but when the result of my calcs came out as 168 I was looking for another calculator.!!

17th has nothing to do with JIB. either you keep up with current regs, or you stop doing electrical work. There are many changes from 16th through to the current 3rd 17th. if you do not know these, then you simply are not competent any more, and are likely to leave an installation non compliantt. but then it must be OK, because thats how you have always done it...

for cable calc, try cable-mate.

and maybe its a good thing JIB took away your card...

Doncaster Cables have an on line calculator.

TLC Electrical have one as well but their calculator won't do that calc as it is out with their cable range.

You don't have to use ducting but it would be a good idea for future replacement or upgrading and it needs to be at "sufficient depth" to avoid being damaged by "reasonably foreseeable disturbances" of the ground. If that sounds like it came out of the 17th...........it did! :lol:

So..........on a farm think ploughing, trenching even deep worn ruts. 

What is your problem Andy? you really need to take a chill pill,post like yours don't help anyone ,but puts people off asking questions.

What is your problem Andy? you really need to take a chill pill,post like yours don't help anyone ,but puts people off asking questions.
I've had a go back at somebody before when I felt it wasn't in the spirit of the forum that calls itself "the friendliest" etc. But in this case what do you expect? Maybe the OP phrased it poorly but he comes along and blatantly states he "lost interest in the 17th". Yes there's a few grey areas etc but it doesn't exist for kicks & giggles. I for one sat there wondering (again) why I bothered paying hard earned cash to do the 17th, buy the regs and OSG etc if someone's going to ask for help but then slate what is after all "the bible" for most. And again, you're not going to get away with calling H&S tests "pathetic".

I love the theory here, if one calculator doesn't give you an answer you like, try another....

If the length of cable you get is too short, will you get the same length in a different cable expecting better results?

Just chuckling..... ROTFWL

Last edited by a moderator:
My tuppence for what it's worth?

Surely if you've trained as a spark and decided to throw the towel in when the 17th came along (2008) then surely you'd still remember how to do your cable calcs? As regards using ducting, again if you've been sparkying for any length of time then surely you would have adapted what you consider best practice?

17th has nothing to do with JIB. either you keep up with current regs, or you stop doing electrical work. There are many changes from 16th through to the current 3rd 17th. if you do not know these, then you simply are not competent any more, and are likely to leave an installation non compliantt. but then it must be OK, because thats how you have always done it...

yes, Probably. But then the food banks don't have my brands.

You missed all the kitchen installers that got registered with part P then?

Impervious said:

Impervious said:

Cable Calc was a good link. Thanks.

Canoeboy said:
Its quite simple in these easy steps

1. Open Regs Book (BS7671)

2. Turn to page for Multicore Armoured 70Deg Cables, its up the back, tables marked copper conductors (something like 4D4A/B)

3. Decide if its 1 phase or 3 phase

4. Look at the table for voltage drop per ampere per meter in the correct column

5. Use the figure and multiply by amps and meters to give your volt drop

Moved to DIY as I'm assuming your a farmer asking this as most electricians would know how to work out voltage drop.
Canoeboy said:
For 16mm 70 dec C Multicore armoured

3 phase 100 m

2.4 mV/A/m = (2.4 x 100 x 60)/1000 = 14.4V

3 phase 170 m

2.4 mV/A/m = (2.4 x 170 x 60)/1000 = 24.48V

1 phase 100 m

2.8 mV/A/m = (2.8 x 100 x 60)/1000 = 16.8V

1 phase 170 m

2.8 mV/A/m = (2.8 x 170 x 60)/1000 = 28.56V

Perhaps your decimal place was wrong ?

E&OE
Yes, I think your right. I thought mv was 100 not 1000 . doh!

and 20mm blue pipe doesnt count as suitable duct. it also wont take the correct size cable once the 2.5 T&E burns out
So how was the pub at lunchtime?

Canoeboy said:
Its quite simple in these easy steps

1. Open Regs Book (BS7671)

2. Turn to page for Multicore Armoured 70Deg Cables, its up the back, tables marked copper conductors (something like 4D4A/B)

3. Decide if its 1 phase or 3 phase

4. Look at the table for voltage drop per ampere per meter in the correct column

5. Use the figure and multiply by amps and meters to give your volt drop

Moved to DIY as I'm assuming your a farmer asking this as most electricians would know how to work out voltage drop.
My tuppence for what it's worth?

Surely if you've trained as a spark and decided to throw the towel in when the 17th came along (2008) then surely you'd still remember how to do your cable calcs? As regards using ducting, again if you've been sparkying for any length of time then surely you would have adapted what you consider best practice?
I didn't decide to "Throw in the Towel." In 2008 a million construction workers were laid off by The Bankers. Not in the press. Not in the unemployment figures.