Adding A Socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraig1

Reaction score
Hi, my brother has asked me to put another socket in his living room. He wants it under the consumer unit which is as far from another socket as you can get. The easiest way to do it would run the cable from the socket and terminate directly into the consumer unit.

1st question Ring or radial, I would say radial.

2nd question,   Can I terminate into the existIng MCB for the downstairs ring circuit or shall I terminate to a new MCB.

Cheers

Craig

if he adds a new MCB then if definitely will be
Which shows the stupidity of it.

Connect it to the same MCB as an existing ring as a spur, not notifiable.

Arguably do a better job and put it on a 16A MCB as a new radial circuit, phart pheee kicks in.

So we have a rule positively encouraging you to do it the least good way.  Madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which shows the stupidity of it.

Connect it to the same MCB as an existing ring as a spur, not notifiable.

Arguably do a better job and put it on a 16A MCB as a new radial circuit, phart pheee kicks in.

So we have a rule positively encouraging you to do it the least good way.  Madness.
yep, complete madness. wire the socket with a bit of 2.5 and stick into existing 32a, fully compliant, but not notifiable. fit it to a new 16 / 20a breaker and its notifiable... personally, ill take the non-notifiable route, unless there just happened to be unused 16/20a MCB... and a MWC is much easier to do than an EIC...

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, complete madness. wire the socket with a bit of 2.5 and stick into existing 32a, fully compliant, but not notifiable. fit it to a new 16 / 20a breaker and its notifiable... personally, ill take the non-notifiable route, unless there just happened to be unused 16/20a MCB... and a MWC is much easier to do than an EIC...
Has the section....... Any work at the consumer unit/fusebox been dropped from the notifiable works list ?