The Niceic Group, And Todays "april Fools" Joke......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
( rant begins)

So - last week, I get a `phone call from NIC guy, wanting to arrange my assessment visit for the 24th July. Fine - not a problem.

Apparently my "old" area engineer is now more into management, and there`s a new bloke. Fair enough.

Yesterday, a letter arrives, dated 4th July, confirming assessment, but with a caveat that, if I cancel within 21 days, they`ll charge me £200 per half day - and, as an A/C - my visits are always full day. 

That effectively means I can`t change the date, without paying £400. They`re having a laugh. No matter - 24th is ok for me.

Today - they send another letter, saying that, as the assessment is going to be longer than the standard half day, it`ll cost me an extra £ 348.00 for the "supplemental" half day !!!!  ROTFWL

So, I phone their customer services - checking to see if its a wind-up, or something - they can foxtrot oscar if they think they`re serious. 

BUT - you cannot talk to anyone in customer services - they`ve all been given the day off to go on a training course ( WHAT? ALL of them? At the same time??). :Applaud   :slap

I am well cheesed off with them now - they`ve just had a rather fiery email :) To make matters worse, my last assessment was Dec 2013 - so, using their own logic, they owe me for the obligatory half day from last year, that I didn`t get. But I`m not entitled to have that refunded, apparently  :red card

So I think my days of being in the club are numbered..............oh dear - who cares?

(rant ends)

basically, they have an appointment for the following morning been cancelled and they now want you to pay the assessor for that morning, even though they have already charged the other person anyway

( rant begins)

So - last week, I get a `phone call from NIC guy, wanting to arrange my assessment visit for the 24th July. Fine - not a problem.

Apparently my "old" area engineer is now more into management, and there`s a new bloke. Fair enough.

Yesterday, a letter arrives, dated 4th July, confirming assessment, but with a caveat that, if I cancel within 21 days, they`ll charge me £200 per half day - and, as an A/C - my visits are always full day. 

That effectively means I can`t change the date, without paying £400. They`re having a laugh. No matter - 24th is ok for me.

Today - they send another letter, saying that, as the assessment is going to be longer than the standard half day, it`ll cost me an extra £ 348.00 for the "supplemental" half day !!!!  ROTFWL

So, I phone their customer services - checking to see if its a wind-up, or something - they can foxtrot oscar if they think they`re serious. 

BUT - you cannot talk to anyone in customer services - they`ve all been given the day off to go on a training course ( WHAT? ALL of them? At the same time??). :Applaud   :slap

I am well cheesed off with them now - they`ve just had a rather fiery email :) To make matters worse, my last assessment was Dec 2013 - so, using their own logic, they owe me for the obligatory half day from last year, that I didn`t get. But I`m not entitled to have that refunded, apparently  :red card

So I think my days of being in the club are numbered..............oh dear - who cares?

(rant ends)

Are you sure its not the 1st April

How on earth can they justify this increase?

That said I've seen comments about this on "another" forum.

I left Elecsa recently and joined Stroma - saving over £200 per year.

this is typical behaviour of a group that is toooo big for its boots. The sooner people leave and they then have to actually work for their reputation the better.

might have to look into that... elecsa renewal is due in the next few month... for how many notifiable jobs i do, its getting hard to justify it... i think ive notified 2 jobs since last assessment in november...

might have to look into that... elecsa renewal is due in the next few month... for how many notifiable jobs i do, its getting hard to justify it... i think ive notified 2 jobs since last assessment in november...
I did the sums and I simply couldn't justify spending £490 with Elecsa when I could have the same for £288 from Stroma.

The assessment is a bit more thorough than Elecsa!

I'm happy and got more money for me which is the whole point of being SE.

That effectively means I can`t change the date, without paying £400. They`re having a laugh.
I had exactly the same back in December, might have even mentioned it here.

I've been looking at Stroma also ,  half the cost of ELECSA/NICEIC  .   They should have a reduced fee for those members who don't notify many jobs  .  As Andy says , he only did two notifiable in the year .   I'm semi-retired , also don't notfy many but still have to be a member ,  I asked if there was a reduction for such  positions but of course there is'nt .

And again , the old story .... the number of people I come across who ignore the whole thing , especially in the bathroom / kitchen fitting  side  .

Trouble is..I envisage Stroma being scooped up into the  NIC/ECA net  ..........is'nt that the usual way to put paid to opposition who are undercutting your prices. 

Martyn ,  do you feel you are being pushed around by them , threatened with fines even ,  I certainly wouldn't be happy with that attitude . 

Again , as with all these organizations , the rank & file who actually fund the whole show by getting off their arses and doing a bit of sparkying  ...are treated like shytte.

Rant continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deke  -thats EXACTLY how I feel - and, speaking to a few people; this is becoming a typical thing for nicey - as was said, someone else cancelled, and they want someone to "do".

Well - it won`t be me  -they can piss right off :redcard

Oh wouldn't I love it if the whole industry upped and cancelled their memberships . 

Can you see that lot going back on the tools ?............. Oh how silly of me ...they've never been on 'em in the first place !!!

Oh wouldn't I love it if the whole industry upped and cancelled their memberships . 

Can you see that lot going back on the tools ?............. Oh how silly of me ...they've never been on 'em in the first place !!!

Quite agree with that.

What makes a person with a career in HR suitable to run a very technical business.

Anyone know how much Ms Clancy is paid - this information extremely hard to locate and I think that saleries for senior staff in such a business should be published in the annual accounts - but they are not!

I wrote a similar post here about my assesment last year. They did exactly the same regarding the full day. I phoned and whinged and complained so much they dropped it. I also made sure we were finished by 12.00.

My assesor said although its not his department many people were complaining of the same thing. Shame because we used to have a good chin wag about all electrical things

If  and I say IF the NICEIC are raising their fees, they need to publicise them and write to their members AT LEAST 6 months before renewal.

They do not have a monopoly, and like insurance companies we need the ability to shop around.

CompareTheScamOperators.com

With their short fat comical character Tony Fatcat,,his assistant/stooge Fannyforth, their cutesie BUT passive agressive Boss Fancy Pantsie Clancy, all supported by 'the Charrriddddy Money Guzzlers' thie backing band

You get a free neon screwdriver JUST for enquiring and when your cheque has cleared you get a book of FatCat Tony,s memoires, questions from the Hotline...the literary World's LARGEST work of Fiction. AND a free Voltstick

No,offence