Advice Needed...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!!

What would you all do here..

I listed my bike for sale on an ebay auction. I said strictly cash on collection or i would deliver it if paid up front. Bloke buys it within half hour of me listing it [yesterday at about 8pm] with "buy it now" for £2300. I get a message to ask can he pay half with electronic transfer, and the rest cash, I say ok. He says he is going away for a week but that i could deliver it anytime as his missus would be there. Next he changes his mind and wants me to wait until next monday to deliver it. I text them 9 this morning and tell them that in that case i want the half payment straight away and they text back they will try to do it today. Nothing has happened as yet. Now i have a bloke from 5 miles away, has come and seen it, and wants to buy it with a cheque and i can keep the bike till it clears, or a bank transfer, when he manages to get to the bank. ]They are a truck driver and going to banks is awkward for them and they do not have internet banking..]

I do not want to mess the first bloke about, but if he was not going to be in a position to pay straight away, or willing to take delivery and pay straight away, then they should have asked me before doing "buy it now" what you all think i should do???

john..

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion got to give the first bloke a chance while keeping the second bloke informed of what you are doing. So I would probably send the the first bloke another text saying that if he doesn't respond by say Tuesday midday you will have to cancel his sale and readvertise due to being left in limbo over the money. Then flog it to the second bloke.

Good luck.

Hi again,

Under ebay rules you Have to pay within 48 hours, so that the time is up 8pm tomorrow...

Ebay does say though that the seller sets the rules..

I put: "I have let the auction start at 99p and there is no reserve either, Oh, and I could also deliver it for you [within 100 miles or so] for the price of the petrol, assuming you have viewed and paid for it first and bike would be transported at your risk!! Most of all, please come and have a look at it "in the flesh" if you can, and see for yourself what a nice bike it is! Payment will be strictly cash on collection, or, I would much rather bank transfer if you have internet banking"

I got a message''

"Hello John, Very excited about this bike. Looks lovely. I don t suppose you could bring it to Southampton? Google says it s 120 miles so a bit over your 100 mile offer.

I d happily pay for petrol and train fare and something for your time.
Otherwise I ll hire a van and come and get it. I m away with work this next week so the earliest I could come is Monday 20th or Tuesday 21st. If you could deliver it, it could be pretty much anytime as my wife will be at home...
Could I pay half electronically and half in cash?
Thanks.
They then changed their mind to me delivering it in a weeks time, so i sent...

Yes that would be fine, [was talking about the transport of the thing] it will still only be £30 though. I would need the electronic part of the payment more or less immediately though, as in fairness i had 5 watchers in 10 minutes... I could deliver it to you today if needed though" [i sent this about 9 this morning.]
Got back. "OK sure. Just off to work now but should be able to do it today... Thanks"

Nothing has happened yet.... Have i been patient enough?? their time is up 8pm tomorrow, but my other half says grab the cash from the second bloke as it is not "bought" until i have been paid...

john...

The worst that can happen if you piss the first bloke off is bad feedback.  I would take that risk and sell it to the first one that actually gives me some cash.

I disagree with what has been said. The person clicking the 'buy it now' has entered into a contract with you. Unless you have specified differently then they have ebay's standard 48 hours to pay.

The 'right' thing is to give them that time. You don't have to accept part payment now, and more later or anything like that. You do have to give them the time to pay.

Only once 48 hours has elapsed can you offer it to someone else.

If you trade via ebay, follow their rules.

I think that I'd send them a message reminding them that "Buy it now" sales need to be paid for (in full) within 48hrs (ebay rules) and that time will be up at 8pm on Monday.... and see what happens

However I'd always be wary of letting them pay by any other method other than bank transfer as they could easily open a dispute saying that it wasn't as described and get their money back (especially as they haven't physically look at it),, then you're stuck without the bike and the money :eek:

Give the 1st bloke time to pay, but don't remind him until after the time has expired, then sell it to the 2nd bloke as cash on collection only.

ebay always sides with the buyer.

Hi all, just had a look at the ebay rules. It says "payment..Other - See seller's payment instructions. When you click on this it says;

Seller's payment instructions

"Strictly cash on collection, or, preferably, electronic bank transfer." That was my contract terms.

Now, if you buy something "buy it now" and then AFTER you have bought it decide that you do not want to take delivery for over a week, and then state you will pay half straight away and then do not, you are in breach of MY terms, which ebay state i am free to set. [as above]

I do not think ebay say you have to give someone 48 hours to pay, they say that IF someone has NOT paid in 48 hours then you can open an unpaid item case, big difference.

I contracted as above "Strictly cash on collection, or, preferably, electronic bank transfer" THAT was the contract. After "buying it now" the buyer then decides that he wants to pay half and then, take delivery and pay the other half over a week later. That was not the contract terms, they were; "Payment will be strictly cash on collection, or, I would much rather bank transfer if you have internet banking" Not half when they feel like it and the rest a week later..

Yes, I did say i would deliver, BUT the terms were; "Oh, and I could also deliver it for you [within 100 miles or so] for the price of the petrol, assuming you have viewed and paid for it first and bike would be transported at your risk!!

This they have not done...

john..

a bird in the hand.....

first bloke sounds like a time waster. He's failed to deliver the money DO NOT DELIVER THE GOODS until he has paid all the money, and money has cleared, or tell him to pee off cos he hasn't met the rules. ebay works very much in the favour of the buyer, which is great except quite afew are scan merchants. If he pays by paypal. move money immediatlely to another account.

Report to ebay that he is a winker and failed to meet terms to avoid bad feedback. Treat ebay buyers as very dodgy and you won't go far wrong.

What if the first guy is genuine in that he has to go to work and works say off shore? Maybe his wife is confident in dealing with something as valuable/precious to her husband?

Personally I'd inform the second guy that you are currently in contract with the first guy and that this contract will expire at xxxxx (inset time date to suit) and that you'll happily contact him if the contract falls through. Then I'd get onto the first guy explain that you have a keen secondary offer and that you can only hold the sale for xxxx number of days/hours but will need firm payment by this time other wise you will withdraw the sale.

A fair approach IMO which eBay could not ignore.?

All the best with whatever you decide.

Hi all,

Well, The second buyer decided the bike was too tall for him, ok fair enough, it was really, but he was a very nice chap and great to deal with. The original tosser sends me a message this morning. Decides that he wants to come and have a look at the bike next week. I point out that he has actually already bought it and i could sue him if i wanted... That took the wind out of their sails a bit. I also pointed out that they have also lost me the listing fee.. They said they still wanted to buy it, but i told them that i was going to relist it anyway.

I get another message a bit later that says; " Still quite happy to buy it. I could come next Tuesday. If you do need to relist it I'm sure eBay would refund you the cost. Thanks." I replied that it was ok with me, but i was going to have to do the "none paying bidder" thing to get my refund. They have not replied to that..

I am going to relist it anyway, but if they DO turn up, they can still have it, but this time the whole sum will be done by bank transfer.

Have any of you ever taken in cash only to find it is counterfeit???

john..

John if I could then I would but as I can't I shan't. It's a fine example. I just wished I could, however not having a licence and having a stubborn wife it looks as though it will remain a wish! :(

Oh & I'll pop up and pick it up at the same time I look at your shed, didn't get chance the last time I was in your neck of the woods.

I hope it gets higher than £10 though, for your sake!