Switching Led Drivers ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're doing some steps lights , pergola lights etc..........controlled via a sunset to midnight timer  .            Customer has now asked  to be able to switch each section  on or off . 

We will be fitting a 3 gang IP whatever switch .....BUT ...... my mate muttered about it only switching the 36v  driver output .

As I drove home I started to think ..........which is unusual  ....  but  I thought ...will we damage the drivers by having them powered but with no load ,  fittings are wired in series  to each driver and this electronic stuff can be temperamental . 

Personally I wouldn't entertain the idea ...would merely switch the 240v to each driver .   In fact I shall insist , I can't see a driver being powered with no load say...for a whole winter without detremental effects....  @ £30  ea. 

For what its worth I have some DMX controlled LED Lights

A DMX interface feeds the lights, the interface (and so the lights) are powered by an independent power supply, when not in use it is all switched on the mains side. My DMX interfaces cost the same as your Drivers do. £30 each, and I have 4 of them.

Yes , thanks  Dick The 1X  ...I'd really already decided TBH  , my mate was knocking up a litle panel with the drivers etc . & thinking out loud ..muttered about switching the 36v  outputs  but was always switching the mains  it seems .   

Latest posts