How Do The Big Schemes Get Their Money Back

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've been involved in a few social housing projects (with steps following me round putting everything right) and from time to time I have thought to myself how on earth these schemes make their money back. Most are funded by external sources who rely on the feed in tariffs. Now, just thinking out loud here but aren't any schemes that install 25 + systems with the same company receiving the feed in tariff subject to the lower tariff? We all know a system would never pay for itself on the lower tariff. What am I missing?

Has the payback time on systems not stayed roughly the same due to falling solar equipment prices equalling falling FIT payments. When I did a quick mental check a year or so ago I think I worked out that the payback time was about 9 years wether you bought the system 4 years ago or last year.

Has the payback time on systems not stayed roughly the same due to falling solar equipment prices equalling falling FIT payments. When I did a quick mental check a year or so ago I think I worked out that the payback time was about 9 years wether you bought the system 4 years ago or last year.

Indeed roys, for the higher tariff. But the lower tariff is about half that of the higher....