7 Week Wonder Course

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayseed

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently considering a change of career and have been looking around at the various courses available.

I know these short, full time courses are not overly popular with 'proper' sparkys but was wondering if you could tell me what, other than practical experience, i would be lacking if i did a 7 week course which gave me 1. EAL Lvl3 Installing, testing and ensuring compliance in dwellings , 2. C&G 2382 Lvl 3 and 3.C&G 2377 Lvl 3.

The company running the course are claiming that - 'on completion of the course you will be a fully qualified Domestic Installer' but i very much doubt that is actually the case. I'm just wondering how much of an inflated claim that is?  The course costs £5395. Thanks for any feedback.

The only thing I see there that is much use is 2382, it's about £300, and if you can read and write you could pass it yourself. 

I don't know what 2377 is, is it PAT? If it is, it's pretty useless IMHO. My missus has it from a former employment,  absolutely nothing connected to electrical. 

The only thing I see there that is much use is 2382, it's about £300, and if you can read and write you could pass it yourself. 

I don't know what 2377 is, is it PAT? If it is, it's pretty useless IMHO. My missus has it from a former employment,  absolutely nothing connected to electrical. 

You forgot that the first certificate can be used as an emergency bum wiper should he run out of toilet paper

I'd say that there is probably £1800 worth of courses there, possibly even less through a local college... So it's over priced to start with.

The EAL is a Part P course,, all it will teach you is the appropriate building regs

2382 is the regs course and

2377 is PAT

None of these courses will teach you why we do things a certain way, how electricity works, how to wire a switch or how to test an installation. So presented in this way they are pointless bits of paper.... A total waste of money IMHO

If you are going to speak to your local college, keep an open mind whilst talking to them too, don't forget college lecturers need work too.

Its in their best interests to keep course going, as they lose funding if not enough apply for it, so aren't always truthful when selling the courses IME

2377 portable appliance testing, http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/building-services-industry/electrical-installation/2377-electrical-equipment-maintenance-and-testing#tab=information, has absolutely no relevance to domestic electrical work and to be quite blunt any organisation selling it as part of a domestic electrician package is clearly trying to pull the wool over the eyes of an inexperience candidate looking at the course. They may as well offer the DVLA theory test as well https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test as most electricians may need to drive a van to do their work.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: