Fire Rated Downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ1109

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Bit of advice needed!!!!!!!!!!!

Was asked to do a job fitting LED downlights as the guy was fitting a false ceiling in the house he was doing up to rent out.

I normally use the Fire Rated short can type from LED Hut. I ordered the units along with 4.5w LED GU10 lamps.

On arrival he's only fitted a grid type ceiling (like you see in an office) It looks an eyesore.He's installed it about 60mm below the old lat n plaster ceiling. Obviously these "short can" ones I got wont fit. i think these are 100mm.

I said the only way would be to break an hole above in the lat n plaster ceiling so the unit will sit in but he doesnt want this

Does any one know of any make that are smaller than these. I have heard that you can get some but they are a complete unit but from where???

Thanks in advance of any replies

I have used hundreds of Inceptors.....micro and standard.

Not had any problems

Mind you...present job i am using some from PAL. Switchable between cool white, daylight, warm white. Dimmable as standard, comes complete with satin, chrom, white and brass bezels, IP,rated, Fire rated.

Just a bit too deep for your needs though

Why do you NEED fire rated, would be my question,

I don't have any fire rated DLs in my house, I don't need them. 

Oh, I see FSOTY already noted that in #3

I've used the Inceptor Max and Micro before..... I'm not overly pushed on the Micro however, the clip on bezels are a bit pants
Ah, good point on the bezels. Mr Shiraz made me forget that little glitch

I usually get the client to fit them AFTER they have decorated!.....saves me having to faff about with them

No offence

I don't fit fire rated unless actually needed, which 99% of the time is NOT NEEDED. My favourites are the twist lock fittings form Denmans, Aurora I believe. No stupid can because you don't need one, height is then determined by lamp and lamp holder.

1 house, 2 storey is 1 fire compartment. A house splt into 2 flats is 2 fire compartments, only the ceiling between the flats is fire rated. 3 storey houses and houses with attic conversions are a little more stringent, but even then the fire protection is to the means of escape ie the stairs, hence smoke detection and fire rated doors are normally needed for the hall way. This still doesn't mean you need fire rated downlighters in the ceilings.

As you may have guessed, I'm not a fan of fire rated downlighters, or more importantly being sold overpriced shite I don't need, hence I have done some extensive research :^O