Returning To College To Finish Studies Is It Worth It Opinions And Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmcevoy

Reaction score
So where to begin I'm now looking at returning to college to gain level 3 paying out my own pocket. It will be the 2365 on a night time I previously did the 2330 passed level 2 but from what I can make out failed level 3 only obtaining one certificate for that course. Since going to college about 5 years ago I have mainly done site labouring. I want to get back into the trade but to be honest I have forgot most of it due to lack of experience and not being able to work alongside sparkies. Any advice would be welcomed

Let me put it like this; Education and certificates are never wasted, the only people that say "Huh, bits of paper do not matter" are those that have not passed any exams themselves...

Go have a word round at the college, they will be able to advise you best..

john..

thanks for the replies to do with cerificates i understand that it is all down to the practicle ability of the person performing the task at hand. i want in the future to be able to have that gold card to which i would say you all have so that is why the certificate side is just as important to me as i have been offered the chance to start getting the hands on experience through an electrician i know to which i can't wait. doubt i will do an apprenticeship as the adult trainee route seems to suit myself more even though it means paying a decent amount of money out.

ok guys i would like to ask what tools would/should you expect a mate to have as that is the role i will be portraying. comercial site. (sorry for bad spelling)

commercial,

so does that mean galv?

hammer, pliers, a few screwdrivers, 12" hacksaw, steel rule, square, tape measure, level,

I suppose a basic set of hand tools, I wouldnt expect a mate to have any powertools tbh,

but, a cordless screwdriver would probably make your own life a whole lot easier.

stripping cable is a matter of preference,

sometimes I just use normal combi pliers, sometimes a CK auto wire stripper, recently Ive been getting on well with a pair of CK sidecutters with stripping notches for 1.5  & 2.5

conduit singles I normally use a pair of knipex/draper end strippers, no idea what the proper name is for them,,,

Is the ck auto wire stripper any good as I did look at it before is it sturdy? Ck sidecutters with stripping notches any chance you could get me a link to view them. Cheers

personal preference... i use these for stripping just about everything. only thing i dont use them for is the armour on SWA...

61YDiCWUNeL._SL1181_.jpg

Sorry if this is a repeat as I'm using my phone but are they as sharp as the ck ones which look like that.

Also have you got preference on where to buy tools from

As the others have said.above....all the cutters have their place

I quite like theseimage.jpg

Very comfy to use AND for commercial /conduit work they have a shear point for M4 as well as 3.5..... Makes cutting conduit box screws a doddle!...just DONT cut anything too hard with the tips

CK do an equivalent without the Ergo handles