Heres Something I Didn't Think Of !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So , I'm doing a garden lighting job , about  £800  quids worth of good quality fittings .

All LEDs . Stainless steel .     Job divided into three , step lights flush in brick wall .....Pergola lights .....Spike lights  via a dusk photocell / run on timer. and 3 gang switch .  3 seperate drivers.

By luck I noticed in the catalogue that  all lights to be wired in series , all fittings have been tested & will not be replaced due to wrong wiring .   I would have wired them  in parallel  TBH  had I not seen that  & ******** the lot up .  :(    So each driver powers 1 - 6  lights in series.

Worked out because of the layout , quite a few IP joint boxes so careful to connect in series, switch on ,  Spikes all working ........ only one step light  & one pergola light working .     Mild panic setting in , :_|   if I ******** them we will have to replace them at high cost .   

Long story short .... the fittings are  (+)  (-)   sensitive but wiring in series we just seried then up as you would , say , the tamper loop on an alarm.     Wrong!!.      Must be looped red in ...black back & out on red  back on black out on red  etc  .

Rehash two joint boxes & all working :)

Just not concentrating

Mmmmm....stainless steel lights.

£1.95M new build of my mates ( i could not,wire it due to health issues)

All external lights stainless steel up/down with GU10 LED lamps. After 18 months ALL the fiitings (30+) have corroded........approx 4 miles from the coast

He is getting me to go and fit all new ones!

Moral of story.....do NOT buy Sfix up down SS lights!.....mind you, another site a few miles away has the same fittings and NO problems!.....must be a faulty batch, or the Chinese kids have used the wrong mix or summat

These were chosen by the customer , they appear to be quality , certainly expensive , Collingwood.      Theres so much poor quality around these days you never know what you're getting ,  nothing made in Britain anymore but the same quality brand names are often used .

Its normal for series led lights to have + &- . Thinking about it, its only Collingwood that i know of that still use series wiring. We have fitted loads of this kit and use car type male/female push on crimps so its easy to disconnect a light and link through the connections to test.

These are the connectors we use. We always fit the female to the feed + so its easy to plug/link out lights

attachicon.gif
Nylon-Insulated Bullet with Extra Crimp Sleeve.jpg

- to the male
bullet connectors,

they are good, use a lot of them on race bikes for modifying looms,

:)