Fluorescent Tube For Kitchen Lighting-Confused By The Numbers!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keepertony45

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just become a member and i am trying to make sense of the fluorescent tubes in our kitchen lighting. 

The current tubes show L36W/535. Not being able to go out and make a purchase due to my health i resort mostly to online shopping and i can only currently find, within my budget, a L36W/835.

May i ask what the latter numbers mean please, and could i use an 835?

I hope this question is acceptable and that i have posted in the correct area.

Thank you.

Tony

Thank you for the information.

I had expected to find the 'T' printed on the tube and hadn't realised how these things are described. Now i am aware that i need a T5 i should be able to find what i need.

Many thanks again.

the 8 in the colour code is the CRI, not the diameter (diamter is always Tx, as kerch says). tri-phosphor is 8xx, older halo whatever is 5xx, which is why he cant find any. so yes, an 835 / 840 / 865 will work in place of the 535

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.

I am learning more as the day goes on - proof in the old saying that you never stop learning.

I thought i would have to follow suit with the tube that was already in the fixture, hence the 535. But if an 835 that i know i can get will still be acceptable then all the better.

Thanks again.

the 8 in the colour code is the CRI, not the diameter (diamter is always Tx, as kerch says). tri-phosphor is 8xx, older halo whatever is 5xx, which is why he cant find any. so yes, an 835 / 840 / 865 will work in place of the 535
there you go,

I never knew that,  :C

I only ever used the last 2 numbers,

every day is a school day, 

I never knew that snippet of information. You still learn every day.  Duly scoobed.
Ever wondered why a Par 38 lamp is so called?

Par........parabolic reflector

38? Yep, you guessed it......38. 1/8ths of an inch!

So.....answer me this

Ashley JBs....when we were allowed to use them willy nilly

601......6 terminals.....fairly logical

301 ......4 terminals

401.......3 terminals..........explain that one!

Just wondering

Latest posts