Going To New Build Site

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny_d1985

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the forum, I've done a few searches and not found the answers I'm looking for hope you can help,

I've worked for myself doing domestic installation, rewires etc and subcontracting to social housing to do eicrs and the usual **** lol, But I'm now looking to go onto the new builds seeing as they seem to be picking up. Everyone I speak to talks about how it's all 'different' on site and then when I ask why they just say it's gotta be perfect! Surely you should be installing to the best of your abilities anyway?? And if it's a blank canvas surely it's easier to be neater??

Anyhow basically I was just after some advice and what to expect when somebody finally gives me a chance with my lack of site experience?

You will be expected to be able to do a first or second fix in a day if basic spec on 2/3 bed given an extra day on larger or high spec houses you will be responsible for fan ducting even possibly core drilling. So will need own generator and 110v tools all PaT tested.

Prices vary from site to site and are based on too many variables, as for gene you are there to put electric in so unless you can do things different to others then you will need a gen.

Are you going to be subbing or having a direct contract or inc materials etc?

when I done newbuild a few years back I was doing 1&1/2 houses a week, with an early knock on a Friday,

so, as has been said, thats 5 fixes,

1st week was 3 first fix and 2 2nd fix, week2 was 3 2nd fix and 2 1st fix, etc etc etc,

its steady going, but, you used to be able to make decent money,

sites I done usually had power on site, but not always, or if you were at some remote corner,