No Rcd Protection On A Tt Installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcopeman

Reaction score
How long has it been the normal practise to have RCD protection as standard on all ccts on a txt system because I did a domestic eicr and I was surprised to find the lighting ccts had no.rcd protection. Needless to say a code 1 was the order of the day.

slow down...

first of all lack of RCD is NOT code 1 (do you really think there is an immediate danger of someone getting a shock because there is no RCD?). secondly, RCD requirement for lighting is not really that old (17th)...

of course, if you were competent, you would already have known all that

You should go back to your victim and refund them the EICR and tell them to get someone else

and what is a txt system? didnt think my phone txt messages had an option for RCD?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never a code 1.

Not even required to have an RCD on a TT under certain circumstances even today by careful design and competent installation an RCD can be omitted from a TT.

However, that does take some doing, I'm not saying otherwise.

It can however, be done.

The ze is over 300 ohms so no chance of hitting required times for mcbs. Under what circumstances can RCD be omitted on a txt system

I always thought it was always required.

I work in lo.don therefore not worked on tt systems before.

Look in BS7671 & associated guidance, it's all there, but, a 300 Ohm Ra is not going to cut it, neither is a 200, neither is a 100, neither is a single rod...

This is a TT system. Overhead cables and earth rod.

Main switch 60947-3.

First three ccts are lighting. No RCD protection.