What's The Difference?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
When this forum was first set up it was the complete opposite of the Screwfix forum - supportive, fun, helpful - and when I was starting out on my own it was a lifeline. Now things seem to have changed - ask a question and if you don't know the answer you are incompetent. Pedantic, smug answers. Slagging off. 'Ho ho ho - that's not a code 1 didn't you know that - you must be incompetent - call a real electrician!'. This is destructive to the forum and if it continues it will end up the same way as Screwfix. I miss Mr Smith!

I feel the problem lies mainly in two areas

1). So called "qualified electricians" who are offering their services to the unknowing public, whether it be installation, fault finding, inspection, testing, reporting or whatever. Realising that they are out of their depth ( or worse still, NOT knowing they are out of their depth) then coming on here and asking the most basic of questions, for which they should know the answer/method/procedure, BUT still charging the customer

2) the DIYers who blunder in as they do not know what they are doing and it all gets too much for them...then have to ask when it is too late

More often than not excellent advice is given and guidance provided

However everyone has a "breaking point" or tolerance bypass...and this can come across as not being helpful

Regarding the Code 1 RCD post.........surely if someone is doing an inspection and test then they should be competent enough to know the relevant Regs?

Solely my opinions and NOT those of the majority

No offence

but there is a difference between calling someone a straight prat and suggesting they might like to read some regulations and suggesting they might not be really able to do what they are doing. Bit like MPs, they don't call people liars, they suggest the honourable member might be being economical with the truth.

It's all in the wording

If we are being overrun with semi-competent, it's proably because we so good!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I'm talking about Dave!

Just digging up the code 1 for no RCD on a TT system I can understand that by definition it's not code 1 but can alsonunderstand why an electrician would put this as a code 1 to elevate it above a cracked switch. You can see a cracked switch - but without an RCD any faulty piece of equipment could make all metal enclosures live - and you can't see that to avoid it. Not an immediate danger but the consequences are dire and far reaching.

That's exactly what I'm talking about Dave!

Just digging up the code 1 for no RCD on a TT system I can understand that by definition it's not code 1 but can understand why an electrician would put this as a code 1 to elevate it above a cracked switch. You can see a cracked switch - but without an RCD any faulty piece of equipment could make all metal enclosures live - and you can't see that to avoid it. Not an immediate danger but the consequences are dire and far reaching.

And so could a cracked switch being used by an elderly person with wet hands........

Just digging up the code 1 for no RCD on a TT system I can understand that by definition it's not code 1 but can understand why an electrician would put this as a code 1 to elevate it above a cracked switch. You can see a cracked switch - but without an RCD any faulty piece of equipment could make all metal enclosures live - and you can't see that to avoid it.

Either way - the fault has been found - whether it's reported as a code 1 or 2 is academic.

Going back before the guidance notes and the 3 codes there was a lot of code elevation going on to alert customers. In this case I can understand why a code 1 on a report might get a quicker response. A code 1 or 2 does not make an electrician incompetent.

to be frank I've never known anyone get a belt off anything cos their hands are  wet, and as water is actually a very poor conductor, the most anyone is likely to get is a tingle. But that is all semantics, lets get back to the post, namley the slightly over agressive repsonses some members post in replies to questions. THERE IS NO NEED TO BE RUDE, as my granny used to say, it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it

To be fair the majority of forums are the same. And some posts IMO deserve everything they get, i've not been on this forum long but from my experience on others people set themselves up for a beating with apprentice level questions...that's fine if they're an apprentice, but when the majority of these people are self employed it puts a whole new perspective on it.

However, i do think most things written on-line should be taken with 'a pinch of salt' 

I, and the founders of this forum, try to work on the basis the re-educating the idiot brigade is more useful than lampooning them, at least that way standards may improve. Some of the characters on here clearly have low levels of electrical knowledge, which can be very annoying for so called electricicans. Some like to be spoon fed, because they can't be arsed to look up info themselves. But if you just scare them off, it is unlikley to stop them trying to earn a living and risking the safety of the general public.

Some, of course, are just trolls and deserve a good kicking!

This has been raised before and it was addressed   but I appreciate what Davetheglitz says ...I don't like to see a slanging match flare up nor rudeness to members .    Some posters however do tend to push other member's patience sometimes .

That said , this was formed as a "Friendly Forum with a difference " 

There are cases when you think , this bloke really should be able to deal with this query .TBH 

We should all remember , I think,  that we never stop learning in this trade , theres always something you don't know ,  I learned , on here recently what to do about  LED lights glowing in the dark .     Never came across it but I now know how to deal with it .

I think we're helpful with DIYer's  and we are , basically , a good Forum .