Electrical Installation Certificate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypal74

Reaction score
Hi all. Bit of a newbie. Would appreciate any help with the following. 

I recently hired an unregistered electrician to convert my spots around the house to LEDs, insert new bathroom lighting, and replace my main RDC panel. He brought a registered electrician round for sign-off for certification purposes. I have the BS 7671 certificate, which covers "upgrading of consumer unit earthing and bonding conductors". Does this only certify the RCD? Do I need another certificate for the lighting?

Thanks in advance.

I recently hired an unregistered electrician to convert my spots around the house to LEDs, insert new bathroom lighting, and replace my main RCD panel. He brought a registered electrician round for sign-off for certification purposes. I have the BS 7671 certificate, which covers "upgrading of consumer unit earthing and bonding conductors". Does this only certify the RCD? Do I need another certificate for the lighting?

Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid that the certificate will only cover the work that's actually stated on it in the "Description of work carried out"...

Electricians can only sign for work that they, or an operative working for their company, have carried out... You should never be able to get anyone to sign for work that they haven't done, it would open themselves up to all sorts of liability issues

Thanks. I thought the rules recently changed, which allow unregistered individuals to do work and have an approved electrician come in to verify the work.

This is taken from the Electrical Safety First website: "From April 2014 you will also be able to employ a non-registered electrical installer who has appointed a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion."

that bit is for compliance with building regulations, not wiring regulations. for the EIC its exactly as Noz says
and that's only if his scheme operator allows 3rd party notification.... I think only Stroma do this,, NICEIC have definately said that they won't do this, I think the ELECSA and NAPIT are of the same opinion.

Thanks. I thought the rules recently changed, which allow unregistered individuals to do work and have an approved electrician come in to verify the work.

This is taken from the Electrical Safety First website: "From April 2014 you will also be able to employ a non-registered electrical installer who has appointed a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion."
our amazing government is trying to improve safety standrads as usual NOT. Whilst this may have been passed through legislation, most registering bodies will not allow such mal-practice, and most decent electricians won't contemplate doing this anyway. Look at it this, would you want an un-qualified mechanic working on your car brakes or Dentist drilling holes in your teeth - I suspect not.

and that's only if his scheme operator allows 3rd party notification.... I think only Stroma do this,, NICEIC have definately said that they won't do this, I think the ELECSA and NAPIT are of the same opinion.
Noz ,  ELECSA didn't go with third party certing  ( They are basically NICEIC anyway)  

Stroma as you say will do it .

I'm sure I read that Nappitt would too.

I recently hired an unregistered electrician to convert my spots around the house to LEDs, insert new bathroom lighting, and replace my main RDC panel. He brought a registered electrician round for sign-off for certification purposes. I have the BS 7671 certificate, which covers "upgrading of consumer unit earthing and bonding conductors". Does this only certify the RCD? Do I need another certificate for the lighting?

Thanks in advance.

Why did you choose to employ an unregistered sparky?

The job was time sensitive, and no others had availability. He certainly wasn't the cheapest. I had assurances that his work would be fully certified, and true to his word I have been given an EIC, though I'm now concerned it doesn't cover everything it needs to, most obviously the potential need for a separate minor works EIC for the bathroom circuit extension.

"Upgrading of consumer unit earthing and bonding conductors". Word for word.

Listed as an "Alteration" rather than "New" or "Addition".

So you've had some work carried out by person A who then got person B to finish it off and complete an Electrical certificate.

IMHO Person B shouldn't have done what they have done,,, however there are instances where this has to happen - I've just finished one myself, but that was when the customer kicked the other registered guy off site and I was called in to complete the work.... My certificate will be very carefully to only cover the work that I have carried out and I have warned my customer that this will be the case.

My thought is that you will never get a certificate for the lighting alterations without having them re-done which I guess you're not going to do.

Hopefully Person A has done a safe job and it'll be fine for many years, but this is a lesson that you should have employed a registered person from the start.. If the timescales didn't fit then they should have been changed to suit

The job was time sensitive, and no others had availability. He certainly wasn't the cheapest. I had assurances that his work would be fully certified, and true to his word I have been given an EIC, though I'm now concerned it doesn't cover everything it needs to, most obviously the potential need for a separate minor works EIC for the bathroom circuit extension.

And this could be notifiable too - so ask the sparks about this too!