Are These Panels Any Good?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mate of mine is looking at getting solar panels fitted - dont know the full details yet, but the the company is using LG300N1C(W) - B3 panels. are they any good or go elsewhere?

very nice panels, fitted a set last week. What inverter and how much are they charging? Many companies push good panels, then cheapskate the inverters with Chinese shite

inverters are enphase micro inverters. £4440 for a system with 1 panel, plus £300 per extra panel. £6540 for 8 panels, with a max of 12 for roof size

unless that's gold plated tell him to cancel contract now, he should have 14 days under doorstep selling legislation.. I fit SMA inverter with 13 off LG 300w for just over £6k, it varies a bit with roof, scaffold access. Micro inverters are a waste of money, unless he has complicated shade issues, but then the system would be worth fitting anyway due to FiT drops, plus when they do fail you have to get on roof and disamantle array to replace circa £0.3k plus materials.

LG 300w panels are £190 + VAT trade incidentally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy,

I'm new here but I'm looking at solar PV for my renovation and I'm pretty close to you.

Did you get the work done yet or are you still getting quotes.

I've got one company from Sunderland looking at quoting mine at present but I'd like at least another two quotes so if you have any recommendations please pass them on if thats ok?

unless your renovation is likely to happen before xmas I wouldn't bother with PV. The government in its infinite wisdom had basically decided to destroy the green technology industry, no doubt so they can make subsidies to fracking....

unless your renovation is likely to happen before xmas I wouldn't bother with PV. The government in its infinite wisdom had basically decided to destroy the green technology industry, no doubt so they can make subsidies to fracking....
Build has started and is up to DPC level now so I'm hoping we will be done in time.  That's one of the main reasons for asking on here as I knew they were dropping the tariff slightly in October then last week I found out about the proposal for the big drop in January so there's a bit of a rush to get it done but I still want to make sure I'm getting a good deal and good quality installation.

This company from Sunderland I have quoting have come with good recommendations but I still always like to have three quotes if possible.

One other thing I was just thinking about last night was is it possible to get panels that can be mounted  direct onto the roof?  That is without the need for roof tiles?  All I'm thinking is if could I also save money on tile costs if they were to be covered by panels anyway?