DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

How To Wire A House In The 1930's .

Evans Electric

Nail wooden trunking everywhere and lay VIR cable in it .

post-1408-0-94974700-1438275326_thumb.jp

post-1408-0-80382000-1438275346_thumb.jp

post-1408-0-33750800-1438276818_thumb.jp

Edit :  I'll do some befores & afters on this , its an ongoing refurb , fitted in as & when .  Might be interesting . en suite, conservatory , double garage , kitchen /shower  etc.   Its a dump at the moment .    It'll have to be left for a bit now as they're building a bungalow  ( But the other side of the city which is a PITA ) 

They usually do a good job as below .

post-1408-0-61913800-1438277731_thumb.jp

I found a house last week that still had lead sheathed VIR cored cable in use.

Wondering what that is worth for scrap now?

Around here it was known as "casing and capping"....still see it in some older properties and Churches.

Up until,a few years ago it was still mentioned in the "lighting and Wiring of Churches" as an accepted method of concealment

If you got a good spark then all the corners were mitred......back in the days where time was not an issue

your dust mask looks a bit dirty...

Up until,a few years ago it was still mentioned in the "lighting and Wiring of Churches" as an accepted method of concealment

wonder if LFB had anything to do with it not being used any more?

your dust mask looks a bit dirty...

wonder if LFB had anything to do with it not being used any more?

I like the gardening fork and trowel!

and the SF blank, ready for when a pipe accidentally gets drilled through...

Thats all the builder's stuff ( including the mask )

Thats all the builder's stuff ( including the mask )

and the tea bags?

Ah  The tea bags ....staple diet on these jobs  about 8 cups a day .   They think I'm on tea tomorrow .....they've forgotten I don't work Fridays . 

How long have you been working in Fred West's cellar?

A guy I know is the executor of a will for an old couple in the 90's who've just both died. Guessing the place will be sold for a knock down / rebuild. He mentioned that up in the loft the wiring is done in equispaced singles ("rubber" according to him) all taut & run in dead straight lines with perfect right angles where there's a change in direction. All clipped to the tops of the ceiling joists with staples. Hoping to get a look / take some pics. Said the old chap did it all himself with "stuff from work".

Around here it was known as "casing and capping"....still see it in some older properties and Churches.

I've known it as case and cap...so only slight regional variation!

A colleague found some still in use, in I think it was a cellar of a shop... unfortunately an alarm installer had found it before him and thought it a good place to staple an alarm cable to... and a number of the staples were live, one presumes that he was using a plastic bodied staple gun!

Archived