150W Incandescent Led Replacement?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

A little bit out of the ordinary for me, lighting in a chapel.

Doing it as a favour, and I need to keep an eye on costs.

The existing lamps are 150W tungsten B22.

A bit of research suggests circa 2000 - 2500 lm per lamp.

Anyone tried any of the large wattage LED’s like the “corn on the cob” type 20W?

Or, have you used lower power LED’s and got a reasonable output.

I’d like some ideas and suggestions perhaps please.

We don’t want to change the fittings out unless we have to (cost) as that could be a cherry picker (hire cost) or a full blown scaffold (cost).

I can change the lamps off my own “PASMA” tower.

The lamps are enclosed in a white frosted “goldfish bowl” type globe, so this will diffuse the light & hide an ugly lamp a little.

Thanks,

only problem with LED is physical size of the lamp, they can be too big for amny fittings. Other than that as long as the lumen output is similar, you should be ok. The good thing about the 'corn on the cob lamps is that they mimic the light output pattern of normal lamps, rather than having a focused beam

I see my lamp catalogues are a bit out of date,   but  as said , physical size needs checking .

There are CFL s @  25 - 55 watt   nothing wrong with those .

LEDs @ 25 - 50 watt .

Trying just one first might be a good idea considering the cost.

Thanks Deke,

TBH, it is more to do with lamp life than energy saving, so I am looking at LED's really.

I don't have any catalogues, so you score one up on me there!

I'm going to throw this at my 3 "favourite" wholesalers tomorrow, just looking for a head start really.

The lamps are a brass BC holder with some plates on them to hold the "goldfish bowl" shades on, the entry to the goldfish bowl are quite large, I have one of the high level & one of the low level ones down, so I can measure the aperture and measure thus, calculate the depth from the lamp holder to the bottom of the fitting to check what will fit.

The scaffold is still beneath one fitting at the moment, & want to sort that one before we move on.

Also this time of year we won't be able to tell what the light is like until it gets dark, so late!

Those fitting s are like the old schoolroom fittings I'd say .   

LEDs , as you say , will best  for low maintenance ...fit  & forget for a few years.

Thats the trouble with church jobs , they're always strapped for cash .

Yes Deke they are skint.

I'm doing the labour for nowt, it's my "pet charity".

All I want is the best value for money for life/Lumens etc. to fit the fittings, IYKWIM.

Yes they do seem like the old school room fittings.

Are they the fittings with a large dished plate on the top and a 2" wide shaped plate inside....glass sandwiched between the two?

We had similar at Schhol, favourite trick was to go into a classroom which we never used, whilst it was empty.

Climb up and put a pair of kippers on the metal plate

Difficult to,see a pair of kippers at that height from floor level

These plates got F hot

I leave the outcome to the readers imagination

Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys I'll look at the options, I don't think the doubler thing will fit inside the globe though.

Badger, have you used those lamps?

I don't want to be spending upwards of £200 on lamps to find they are rubbish and don't last!

The whole idea of fitting the LED's is to reduce maintenance rather than save energy as the running hours are so low.

Might be worth checking the bowl shades have enough airflow/space for cooling your chosen LED lamps. (Obviously a non issue with original spec incandescent but LEDs service life and output reduce when hot in a sealed fitting).

LEDs get surprisingly hot given we are told they are 90% efficient. I had some die very quickly retrofitted into a glass tube light fitting