Standby Generator & Solar Panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair

Reaction score
Hi.  I have a 4kW solar panel system fitted to my house which is located in a remote area and is prone to power outages. When the grid drop outs, the solar system stops exporting as designed. 

Due to frequent losses of grid power last winter I want to get a backup petrol generator installed.  The (inverter type) generator would be connected to the house consumer unit via a transfer switch which isolates the generator from the grid preventing it backfeeding the grid, while allowing the generator to supply the house using the existing wiring – I believe this is a pretty standard installation.  When the grid goes down, you switch the transfer switch to ‘Generator’, turn the generator on and supply the house.

My question relates to the solar panel operation when the generator is running.  When the generator starts producing power, the solar panel inverter would presumably 'see' this, check the frequency etc and then allow the solar system to generate again.  Are there any issues with this set up, where both the generator and solar panels are generating together?

Many thanks

Alastair 

gennies tend to output a fairly 'rough' sine wave, so may not be compatible with the inverter - buy a half decent one to ensure a clean output. I would also contact the inverter manufacturer to see if it is a viable idea. MIght be an option to connect via  battery so that battery works to smooth out rough gennie.