DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Spot Lights In One Room Not Working - Help Please?

Ressull

Question

Hi, I'm a novice when it comes to electrics and looking for some help with a problem.

I have 9x spot lights (gu10 50w bulbs) in my living room that were installed around 2 years ago. I replaced 2 bulbs the other night and an hour later they all stopped working. It has not tripped the fuse and all other rooms on the same fuse are working ok. There is a 2 gang switch and a dimmer at the other end of the room.

I've tried removing all the bulbs and putting 1 new one in and also disconnecting the dimmer switch in case it was causing the issue but no luck.

Any suggestions what it could be?

Thanks

Russell

9 answers to this question

you say you disconnected the dimmer switch - and left bare wires?

9 X 50W = 450W. A LOT of domestic dimmers are rated lower than that.  Some dimmers have a habit of going pop when a bulb goes.

So start by replacing the dimmer.

Quite often a lamp blowing can knacker the dimmer switch

Or you may have disturbed a dodgy connection

Or any one of a number of things

It needs some testing doing...if you are not confident then get a spark in.usually cheaper in the long run

Curses.....beaten by PD again

You need a mains tester  Ressull . 

You may have disturbed a dodgey junction box by one of the fittings when you replaced lamps ,  just whistling in the wind really with out being there.

You need to test at the switch , see if there a supply going to the lights , could just be the neutral disturbed , who knows . 

Also beaten by PD ,  I think he's right with the dimmer switch ....you added extra load with the two lamps and blew the dimmer .

Get shut of it , they're a pain , put a switch in it's place.

The job may have been designed for lower wattage lamps  , 35w  ??  Many people replace them with 50w and if theres a dimmer it blows up .  

Edit :    Try linking the dimmer out ,  SWITCH OFF POWER FIRST  and see if they come on .

Just stealing PD's thunder . :innocent

Thanks guys, I disconnected the dimmer and lest bare wires, turned power on to test but didn't work - if it were a dodgy dimmer should it not work then?

Think I need to test the supply at socket as you say, don't have one but I know a man that does!

If you disconnect the dimmer and leave 3 bare wires then no it won't work.

You need to connect to the one that came out of the Common terminal, to one or other of the other 2 wires. then the switch at the other end of the room should work. (you did make a note of which one came out of which terminal didn't you?)

Hi guys, bought a 2 way switch today and problem solved, was a dodgy dimmer switch - think I overloaded it.

Thanks for all your help

Now do yourself a favour and change to GU10 LEDs...there are some good lamps out there now

Ah  a satisfied customer ..... AND  one who said thanks too  ....now that makes it all worthwhile !!

Archived