Jointing Sub <0.25Mm Cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so,

any ideas?

I need to joint sub &lt;0.25mm cables, I dont know exact size, but I could measure them if needed,

I did think of gel type crimps,

but, one cable/wire is solid core, one is flexible,

I have tried soldering, but its mind numbing, I have 40+ of these to do at a time.

my other thought was using ferrule crimps with both inserted at once,

no big loads, 3v at very minimal mA ,

any ideas????

Last edited by a moderator:
soldering is the only real option for cables that small, but I would use silver solder paste. It melts at a lower temperature which will spedd things up a little and prevent shrinkage of the insulation

Why not just crimp the pair into a bootlace ferrule and put a bit of heatshrink over it. You would have the facility still to tap off at that point.

.......................and it's cheap! 

Why not just crimp the pair into a bootlace ferrule and put a bit of heatshrink over it. You would have the facility still to tap off at that point.

.......................and it's cheap! 
Ye, that was a thought, 

Looks like that's the way to go then,

I like cheap, :D

It's for connecting some bell wire to an ide cable,

No more breadboard, :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Steps,

I can post you a bag of twin 0.5mm sq bootlace ferrules if you want them I have loads here, I bought a job lot and the job never came off!

Let me know.

thanks sidewinder,

but they may be a bit large for me,

I've just measured the larger wire,  0.46mm diameter, what would that equate to in mm2 ?

These maybe, or equivalent from CPC. How many are you wanting?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0458689/
I'll just get a bag of 100 I suppose,

I'm at wholesaler on Friday morning, I'll ring them tomorrow and make sure they have some in, its not as if they will be crazy money,

at the minute I'm probably needing 14, and at least another 18 for the next phase, though that may end up being closer to 40 in phase 2,,,

thanks sidewinder,

but they may be a bit large for me,

I've just measured the larger wire,  0.46mm diameter, what would that equate to in mm2 ?

I'll just get a bag of 100 I suppose,

I'm at wholesaler on Friday morning, I'll ring them tomorrow and make sure they have some in, its not as if they will be crazy money,

at the minute I'm probably needing 14, and at least another 18 for the next phase, though that may end up being closer to 40 in phase 2,,,
0.17 mm^2. so working on assumption that your measuring may be out a bit i would gor for 0.2. Same size as as alarm wire ( i think)

0.17 mm^2. so working on assumption that your measuring may be out a bit i would gor for 0.2. Same size as as alarm wire ( i think)
thats probably about right, its bigger than telephone cable, its solid core though,

I dug the drum out, but the label has fell off, its been in shed for ever, probably cos its solid core and not stranded,,,,,,,

for the level of power its carrying I dont think crimp size is too critical as long as it fits reasonably,

here we are

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pet1125/german-single-0-25mm-ferrule-l/dp/CBBR1814

or

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pet1134/german-singe-0-34mm-ferrule-turq/dp/CBBR1815